Vanderbilt - Peabody

dhc27

I was accepted to the Masters HEA program around a month ago, also. Still haven't heard anything re: financial aid. At least they give us until mid-April to make our decision; but, unfortunately, I have to let Penn know by the end of this month.

That's excellent news! Congratulations to you!

Haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully this will foreshadow good things for us all. Again, congrats!

I'm headed to Peabody too. :)

I applied to two master's programs (ECE Special Ed and Child Studies). Still trying to decide between the two.

They said financial info would be coming in the first two weeks of March (that was their goal) but we should still do the Vanderbilt financial aid form (due March 15th) even if we haven't heard about funding by then.

I've also been accepted to the International Education Policy program at Vanderbilt, with a 1/3 tuition scholarship. Has anyone arranged a visit? I'd like to get a better idea of what the coursework would be like.

I got an email this morning with news that I got a "Peabody Honors Scholarship." It covers two-thirds of tuition and apparently they plan on having academic luncheons and "social opportunities" for the 2010 Honors cohort. Not sure what the social opportunities part means, but it sounds great to me. :)

I'm choosing between Child Studies and Special Ed. I emailed and asked whether the scholarship was for either program and was told it's from the special education department but that it is possible that it could go with me if I choose the other program; he said it was the first cohort and they're not really sure. Certainly helps me make my decision. :)

Also got an email that I'd be getting stipend info next week. So excited. :)

I also received the Peabody Honors Scholarship. What's the difference between the scholarship award and stipends? Also, are you required to apply for fin aid if you don't plan on taking any loans?

What I heard was that the stipend usually is for an assistantship, so you'd be doing research or being a TA or something and getting a stipend in return. Whereas the PHS is just free money. :P

I would fill out the financial aid form anyway. :) Can't hurt, right? :) And it's a short form.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I'm new on the forum.

I'm an international prospective student from Moscow, Russia. I've been admitted to IEPM at Peabody College http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/Leadership_Policy_and_Organizations/Graduate_and_Professional_Programs/International_Education_Policy_and_Management.xml

and to IED at Penn GSE. http://www.gse.upenn.edu/node/1055

I am struggling with the choice. Can anyone help? What program has better placement rates for graduate students? What program is better academically? What else should i look at when chosing a program?

Many thanks in advance!

@ Angelina - It seems like you'd have to research and/or contact the individual programs to get answers to those questions, though they seem like good ones. You might ask the schools about the percentage of international students in their programs, as I feel like that would be an important consideration for me if I was in your shoes (not that I'd want all international students at all, but just to see if there is a good mix of backgrounds, as well as others that could relate to my situation).

@ Others -

1. Does anyone have an idea of the number of students who received Dean's Tuition Scholarships to Peabody? I did, and am just curious how many of those they give out, in terms of numbers or percentages.

2. Also, does any have any good advice on finding assistantships? Trying to start looking into that....

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just sent in my acceptance form yesterday, so it looks like I'll be coming too next fall (M.Ed. in elementary ed). Does anyone know where they will be living yet, or is anyone searching for a roommate to try the apartment shopping process with? I'm from way out of the area (New Hampshire and Connecticut), and so I'd love to have some help with all this.

On the topic of scholarships, I got the Peabody Honors Scholarship. Does anyone know, can we can get any other financial aid (assistantships, loans, etc.) in addition to scholarships? Thanks!

Best,

Heather

Hi Heather!

If you get an Honors Scholarship, you can still get other aid. I got a research assistantship to go along with my scholarship. I think most assistantships come from the department and some are awarded and others have an application process (I know that I've gotten a few emails with info about applying). Loans are given out by the university's financial aid office, I believe, instead of Peabody, so that info comes later in the spring. :)

See you in the fall!

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I am new to this place but so far I feel like I can get a lot of useful information.

I am a prospective international student for Fall 2011. I got accepted in IEPM with 1/3 Dean's Tuition Scholarship(DTS).

What is DTS by the way? I tried to look up at peabody.vanderbilt.edu but couldn't find anything.

To how many students is this given and is this same as the Peabody Financial Aid?

Help me out :)

There are so many things I have to get done before I go and I am running out of time :(

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Best,

Cecil

Hi,

I am new to this place but so far I feel like I can get a lot of useful information.

I am a prospective international student for Fall 2011. I got accepted in IEPM with 1/3 Dean's Tuition Scholarship(DTS).

What is DTS by the way? I tried to look up at peabody.vanderbilt.edu but couldn't find anything.

To how many students is this given and is this same as the Peabody Financial Aid?

Help me out :)

There are so many things I have to get done before I go and I am running out of time :(

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Best,

Cecil

Hey Cecil! I got accepted to Vanderbilt's masters IEPM program with a 1/3 Dean's Tuition Scholarship as well! I don't know how many people receive it. But, it is part of Peabody's Financial Aid. Financial aid is any kind of money you get from Peabody, including scholarships, grants, loans, etc. I currently live in Taiwan, but my parents live in California and they received more information about it in the mail a little while ago. If you PM me with your email I'll forward it to you. Basically, though, at the beginning of each semester, as long as you are still "making satisfactory progress toward your degree" you will have 1/3 of your tuition cost reimbursed. You get 1/3 off each semester, including summer. You may also receive other "financial aid" in addition to this. For example, I got another scholarship for $2,000 that will also just be taken out of the cost of tuition. I will also probably receive financial aid loans. I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, or of course, Peabody's financial aid office (who would know better).

Good luck!

S

the cohort is half American, half international....apparently no notifications for the American half have come out yet. Peabody overall says that all decisions will go out by the 15th....the wait is painful, as it is the best IEP program, and my first choice....sigh.

the cohort is half American, half international....apparently no notifications for the American half have come out yet. Peabody overall says that all decisions will go out by the 15th....the wait is painful, as it is the best IEP program, and my first choice....sigh.

Actually, I live in Taiwan right now, but I'm American. I just came here to teach a few months ago.

Hello Everyone!

I'm new on the forum.

I'm an international prospective student from Moscow, Russia. I've been admitted to IEPM at Peabody College http://peabody.vande..._Management.xml

and to IED at Penn GSE. http://www.gse.upenn.edu/node/1055

I am struggling with the choice. Can anyone help? What program has better placement rates for graduate students? What program is better academically? What else should i look at when chosing a program?

Many thanks in advance!

Very nice post.

Thanks for this post.

A friend of mine just called peabody to ask about the status of their application to the Human Development Counseling program. They were told that the program was substantially behind on responding to applicants and that not all decisions had been made yet, including my friend's application. This was today, March 22, about three weeks from the deadline to decide.

This called once about two weeks ago, was told to call back, and the was told to call back again. I guess my question is, how close to the deadline does it need to be before they are justified in demanding a response? They said that my friend was not wait listed, but that the peabody is just way behind. Isn't this a bit excessively late? What should they do to get a response?