Hello PhD and Other Podcasts

birdy-bear

I credit the Hello PhD podcast, along with the Grad Cafe Forums, for helping maintain my sanity during the application and waiting process. The hosts discuss bi-weekly topics from the perspective of scientists, but the discussions transcend any particular field and are useful (I think) for anyone currently in or considering a grad program. This week's topic--choosing the right grad program--seemed especially apropos:

http://hellophd.com/2018/02/087-how-do-i-choose-a-phd-program/

What other podcasts--related to your particular field, being a grad student, or otherwise--have you been using to occupy your mind during the waiting period? What are your other strategies for filling the void?

I wouldn't necessarily say that this podcast is related to my field, but the podcast Science Vs (from Gimlet Media) is a fun one for anyone with an inquisitive, analytical mind. It dives into the research behind a huge range of topics (e.g. meditation, antioxidants, MDMA) in a fun, informative way. 

https://www.gimletmedia.com/science-vs/

2 hours ago, 00ber said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that this podcast is related to my field, but the podcast Science Vs (from Gimlet Media) is a fun one for anyone with an inquisitive, analytical mind. It dives into the research behind a huge range of topics (e.g. meditation, antioxidants, MDMA) in a fun, informative way. 

https://www.gimletmedia.com/science-vs/

Have to agree with Science Vs. It's an awesome podcast and I look forward to every new episode!

Some of my other favorite podcasts to pass time to or listen to while getting ready in the morning or driving are Radiolab (pretty popular podcast and almost always phenomenal about a range of subjects), Modern Love (actors read stories published in the NY Times Modern Love column), The Moth (a storytelling podcast), The Story Collider (like the storytelling podcast The Moth but for stories related to science), HumaNature (stories about humans interacting with nature), Gastropod (the science and history behind food), Undiscovered (not many episodes but really cool stories and discoveries from science), Uncivil (another Gimlet Media - untold or poorly known stories about the civil war), Dear Sugars (an advice column podcast-one of the people is the author Cheryl Strayed who wrote Wild) and This American Life (another popular podcast - stories about a variety of things). My podcast list leans on the science side (I'm in the sciences) and story telling side (I loved podcasts that can tell me a story). I also have some recommendations for true crime and other podcasts that only have one season of standalone episodes if anybody likes those types of podcasts.

@birdy-bear I love podcasts (they helped me get through a lot of lab work for my master's thesis!) so I will have to give Hello PhD a try!