I did this interview last year! They are really fast (10 minutes) and the people who interview you are really nice! I did the interview online because I wasn't going to fly to Boston for a 10 minute interview, and did not regret that. They are very understanding if you cannot travel. As for your question, these interviews were so hard to prepare for. If I remember correctly, Emerson asked REALLY weird questions that I was not expecting, so there is absolutely no way to prepare. My only advice is:

• This one may be obvious, but dress professionally, even if it is on Skype
  • Know why you want to be an SLP (make an elevator speech) 
  • Be prepared to talk about something you like that has nothing to do with being an SLP. What do you do outside of your resume and cover letter? 
  • Be prepared for a question that is really out of the blue. You can't prepare for this, but don't let it throw you off. 
  • Come with a specific question for them so you look interested in the program! I always asked the interviewers what they saw as the greatest strength of their program so they have a chance to brag and I can get a sense of the programs focus!

Good luck!! :) 

10 hours ago, SpeechGal1234 said:

I did this interview last year! They are really fast (10 minutes) and the people who interview you are really nice! I did the interview online because I wasn't going to fly to Boston for a 10 minute interview, and did not regret that. They are very understanding if you cannot travel. As for your question, these interviews were so hard to prepare for. If I remember correctly, Emerson asked REALLY weird questions that I was not expecting, so there is absolutely no way to prepare. My only advice is:

• Be prepared to talk about something you like that has nothing to do with being an SLP. What do you do outside of your resume and cover letter? 
  • Be prepared for a question that is really out of the blue. You can't prepare for this, but don't let it throw you off. 
  • Come with a specific question for them so you look interested in the program! I always asked the interviewers what they saw as the greatest strength of their program so they have a chance to brag and I can get a sense of the programs focus!

That was super helpful, thank you so much!! :)

15 hours ago, SpeechGal1234 said:

How long after your interview did you hear back from Emerson if you were accepted or not?

• 4 weeks later...