Applicants for Joint PhD Sociology and Public (Social) Policy

wildflower21

Hi everyone. I'm curious to know other applicants who applied to Joint PhD programs in Sociology and Public Policy. I applied to the joint PhD at UMichigan, Princeton and Harvard (Sociology and Social Policy), and Cornell (Sociology and Policy Analysis and Management). I have been rejected from 2 Sociology programs (duke, wisc) and waitlisted for Iowa's Soc program. I am hoping to have better outcomes with the joint PhD programs because my research and interests are in social stratification and educational policy.

Hi @wildflower21! I also applied to Cornell's joint PhD program in sociology and PAM. For good measure, I also applied to a handful of pure Sociology PhD programs that are know for being public policy oriented and have three acceptances so far (UC Irvine, South Carolina, Iowa).  With UC Irvine, I applied with the hopes of getting their Master's in Demographics and Social Analysis on the way to the doctorate.

I also have an interest in educational policy, particularly secondary and higher education. I'm hoping you get some good news with your remaining programs :). As I've said before, you have a really impressive profile and I could easily see you being successful at any of the programs you've mentioned.  

10 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Hi @wildflower21! I also applied to Cornell's joint PhD program in sociology and PAM. For good measure, I also applied to a handful of pure Sociology PhD programs that are know for being public policy oriented and have three acceptances so far (UC Irvine, South Carolina, Iowa).  With UC Irvine, I applied with the hopes of getting their Master's in Demographics and Social Analysis on the way to the doctorate.

I also have an interest in educational policy, particularly secondary and higher education. I'm hoping you get some good news with your remaining programs :). As I've said before, you have a really impressive profile and I could easily see you being successful at any of the programs you've mentioned.  

That’s awesome! And thanks, I am so ready to know the results already so I can plan my next steps. I would be beyond grateful to get into any program, I really hope one of the schools can see my potential as a student and researcher. How have you been doing throughout this waiting period?

12 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

That’s awesome! And thanks, I am so ready to know the results already so I can plan my next steps. I would be beyond grateful to get into any program, I really hope one of the schools can see my potential as a student and researcher. How have you been doing throughout this waiting period?

I've been okay, I can tell I'm getting distracted from my thesis though. I just want to know all of my application decisions so I can plan this next stage. Even though I know it won't make the decisions come faster, I have been checking my email religiously haha