International Applicant/Student Experiences

Hey everyone, 

I'm opening this post up just to hear about International applicants or current students (who are either non-American/Canadian or haven't lived there for a long time) to hear about your experiences. Travel, relocating to a different country, finding an apartment (!!), speaking English outside of your home/academic institution, being away from family and friends, or any other experiences you might wanna share.

I'm an American living in the Middle East (I moved away from the states in middle school), and am still waiting on results from schools.

Would love to hear you all :) 

Edited by BlessMeWithSnow

Hello. Good to hear from another international applicant. I’m from Southeast Asia, and I’m also still waiting for results, though fortunately I’ve got one acceptance already (what a relief!). 

For me, the weird thing about this entire process is that I’ve been so self-conscious about my being different (i.e. not being an American citizen or having an American education like most everyone else). I can’t help thinking that everyone must be so much more advanced than me, and that there’s no reason for schools to accept me when they have so many other, more well-trained candidates. And then I wonder/worry if my status as an international would in any way affect how they review my application and the kind of offer (or non-offer!) that they would make. 

I’m probably just overthinking everything, but yeah, there’s that. How about you? 

Hey @bigfluffybearcat I understand how you feel. The nagging thoughts of overthinking how exactly universities will review transcripts and PoS... But congrats on your acceptance! That should be an amazing reassurance that you shouldn't be self-conscious about the whole process!

I'm still waiting with my fingers crossed for an acceptance.

Will this be the first time you'll study outside your home country? 

Hello

This is my first time posting, although I discovered this forum right after finishing my apps and I love the positivity and support the people here exude. I am also an international applicant, from South Asia, and I'm worried about all the things you both have mentioned. Another added worry is that this would be my first time living away from family. I live with my parents, and this is kind of a big leap. Also, I live in a tropical, extremely hot place, and many of the schools I've applied to are on the East Coast or in the Midwest and the thought of winter, actual winter, scares me. 

I also completely relate to feeling inadequately prepared as compared to the other applicants. The post-application season began well for me, with two interviews, but its been radio silence since then, and even though both schools will take a while to release their results, the wait is making me paranoid. Plus, several other places where I've applied have begun sending out decisions and I haven't heard back yet, and its so hard to not assume the worst.

Congrats on the acceptance @bigfluffybearcat !! :D And good luck, @BlessMeWithSnow , I really hope the application season turns out well for us all. 

Hey! International applicant from the Caribbean here. I'm excited to have new cultural experiences, but idk how I'll end up coping with the unfamiliar in reality. I've also never been away from home and live in a tropical climate @Zooks and my top choice (which I've been waitlisted at) is in Ohio, so yes I feel you on the winter front! 

While applying and thinking about my writing sample I was concerned about expectations and norms in the US - it kinda felt like I'd been left out of a very important meeting. But I figured I'd read so much scholarship from the US in my studies that there couldn't be this crazy discrepancy between how I was educated compared to other applicants. 

I also wonder about visit days and affordability - not sure if that's feasible. Do any of you plan/hope to visit before accepting offers?

On 2/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, BlessMeWithSnow said:

Hey @bigfluffybearcat I understand how you feel. The nagging thoughts of overthinking how exactly universities will review transcripts and PoS... But congrats on your acceptance! That should be an amazing reassurance that you shouldn't be self-conscious about the whole process!

I'm still waiting with my fingers crossed for an acceptance.

Will this be the first time you'll study outside your home country? 

Thanks, and good luck on your applications! I've spent one semester abroad in Japan, so this won't be my first time studying outside my home country. But going to the US, I've certainly never been that far away from home, in a place so different in culture and climate nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Zooks said:

Hello

This is my first time posting, although I discovered this forum right after finishing my apps and I love the positivity and support the people here exude. I am also an international applicant, from South Asia, and I'm worried about all the things you both have mentioned. Another added worry is that this would be my first time living away from family. I live with my parents, and this is kind of a big leap. Also, I live in a tropical, extremely hot place, and many of the schools I've applied to are on the East Coast or in the Midwest and the thought of winter, actual winter, scares me. 

I also completely relate to feeling inadequately prepared as compared to the other applicants. The post-application season began well for me, with two interviews, but its been radio silence since then, and even though both schools will take a while to release their results, the wait is making me paranoid. Plus, several other places where I've applied have begun sending out decisions and I haven't heard back yet, and its so hard to not assume the worst.

Congrats on the acceptance @bigfluffybearcat !! :D And good luck, @BlessMeWithSnow , I really hope the application season turns out well for us all. 

Yup, I can definitely relate to worries about the weather. Early spring in Japan was harsh for me, and I guess that's nothing compared to the "real winter" of the Midwest (where two of the schools I applied to are located). Congrats on the interviews! I hope they turn out well for you, and for all of us.

20 minutes ago, Narrative Nancy said:

Hey! International applicant from the Caribbean here. I'm excited to have new cultural experiences, but idk how I'll end up coping with the unfamiliar in reality. I've also never been away from home and live in a tropical climate @Zooks and my top choice (which I've been waitlisted at) is in Ohio, so yes I feel you on the winter front! 

While applying and thinking about my writing sample I was concerned about expectations and norms in the US - it kinda felt like I'd been left out of a very important meeting. But I figured I'd read so much scholarship from the US in my studies that there couldn't be this crazy discrepancy between how I was educated compared to other applicants. 

I also wonder about visit days and affordability - not sure if that's feasible. Do any of you plan/hope to visit before accepting offers?

Wooott, congrats on the Ohio acceptance! And yes, you have a point on relying so much on American scholarship during our study in our home countries. I also absorb a lot of that, and from that the culture itself. I guess my main concern is that I haven't absorbed enough to have an expertise on something useful, especially because a good part of my college life was spent on trying to actually master the English language itself, not the subject areas--if that makes sense. And no, there's no way I can afford visiting days. The USA is so, so far away! :( 

Where are you all applying? Perhaps we have an overlap between schools... and who knows, perhaps even ending up at the same place! I'm applying to Penn State, U of Maryland, U of Washington - Seattle, U of Arizona, and U of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign. The acceptance is from Penn State.

1 hour ago, Narrative Nancy said:

Congrats on Ohio! That's so great :D I hope you get through.

I won't be able to make it for the visit days either, travelling to the US would be too expensive. Plus I cannot take such a long leave of absence from work. 

50 minutes ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

Thanks, and good luck on your applications! I've spent one semester abroad in Japan, so this won't be my first time studying outside my home country. But going to the US, I've certainly never been that far away from home, in a place so different in culture and climate nonetheless. 

Yup, I can definitely relate to worries about the weather. Early spring in Japan was harsh for me, and I guess that's nothing compared to the "real winter" of the Midwest (where two of the schools I applied to are located). Congrats on the interviews! I hope they turn out well for you, and for all of us.

Wooott, congrats on the Ohio acceptance! And yes, you have a point on relying so much on American scholarship during our study in our home countries. I also absorb a lot of that, and from that the culture itself. I guess my main concern is that I haven't absorbed enough to have an expertise on something useful, especially because a good part of my college life was spent on trying to actually master the English language itself, not the subject areas--if that makes sense. And no, there's no way I can afford visiting days. The USA is so, so far away! :( 

Where are you all applying? Perhaps we have an overlap between schools... and who knows, perhaps even ending up at the same place! I'm applying to Penn State, U of Maryland, U of Washington - Seattle, U of Arizona, and U of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign. The acceptance is from Penn State.

Oh wow! Penn State is awesome!! :D I haven't applied to any of your schools though. Applied to NYU, Indiana Bloomington, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, UMichigan, Notre Dame and UNC-Chapel Hill. 

2 hours ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

I guess my main concern is that I haven't absorbed enough to have an expertise on something useful, especially because a good part of my college life was spent on trying to actually master the English language itself, not the subject areas--if that makes sense. And no, there's no way I can afford visiting days. The USA is so, so far away! :( 

Ahh, I see. Juggling multiple languages is tough, well done! Congrats on Penn State, it seems like an amazing program! 

2 hours ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

Wooott, congrats on the Ohio acceptance!

*covers ears* nooo too soon! too soon!

1 hour ago, Zooks said:

Congrats on Ohio! That's so great :D I hope you get through.

I won't be able to make it for the visit days either, travelling to the US would be too expensive. Plus I cannot take such a long leave of absence from work. 

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. I have faith it'll work out.

8 hours ago, Zooks said:

Oh wow! Penn State is awesome!! :D I haven't applied to any of your schools though. Applied to NYU, Indiana Bloomington, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, UMichigan, Notre Dame and UNC-Chapel Hill. 

Thank you :) And you too have a list of awesome schools. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Narrative Nancy said:

*covers ears* nooo too soon! too soon!

Oh my god I'm sorry, I didn't notice you were waitlisted instead of accepted. Well then, may the waitlist turn into an actual acceptance soon!