U of Minneasota vs. Boston U

AprilJ

I recently received admission offer from U of Minneasota and Boston U. Both are MS in Biostatistics program. I plan to go for a job after graduation. Both programs having pros and cons and it is really hard to reach a decision. For example, the program in Boston U is only one year, and it is surrounded by so many pharmaceutical companies which suggests more job opportunities. While U of M has a higher ranking, and it is highly possible to obtain financial funding support in the second year of study. Also my family is in Minneapolis, so I can live at home and save housing expenses if I attend U of M. Does anyone familiar with these two universities? Any suggestions? Thank you.

You're going to learn a lot more in the Minnesota program, with more traditional statistics coursework. You should look up what types of jobs the BU grads get, because it's hard to imagine they have the same skills, after looking at the curriculum. The degree is very applied and you won't have the solid foundations that I think will help you throughout your career. 

Do you get in-state tuition too at U of M? If that's the case, it might be cheaper to go there for two years especially taking into account Boston's very high cost of living. 

I worked for a number of years as a Master's level analyst in an academic biostatistics department and I have a few thoughts. First, Master's level work is going to be purely applied. In general, it is good to have a solid theoretical background, but employers hiring out of Master's programs will be looking first and foremost for people who know how and when to apply existing methods (programming ability in SAS and R are important). If any theoretical work has to be done, it will not be entrusted to Master's level staff. Second, programs usually have good luck placing their graduates locally, but not necessarily nationally. So if you attend Minnesota, your first job afterwards will likely be near Minneapolis, and likewise for Boston. Third, at least some employers expect that a biostatistics Master's degree will be two years full time. Having a one year Master's won't necessarily prevent you from being hired, but in some cases you will start off at a lower salary.   

On 2/9/2018 at 10:09 PM, bayessays said:

You're going to learn a lot more in the Minnesota program, with more traditional statistics coursework. You should look up what types of jobs the BU grads get, because it's hard to imagine they have the same skills, after looking at the curriculum. The degree is very applied and you won't have the solid foundations that I think will help you throughout your career. 

Do you get in-state tuition too at U of M? If that's the case, it might be cheaper to go there for two years especially taking into account Boston's very high cost of living. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I will get in-state tuition at U of M. That's a big plus as well. I'm also very curious about the jobs that BU grads get. I only know their job titles are biostatistician, SAS programmer, consultant and etc.

10 hours ago, gc2012 said:

I worked for a number of years as a Master's level analyst in an academic biostatistics department and I have a few thoughts. First, Master's level work is going to be purely applied. In general, it is good to have a solid theoretical background, but employers hiring out of Master's programs will be looking first and foremost for people who know how and when to apply existing methods (programming ability in SAS and R are important). If any theoretical work has to be done, it will not be entrusted to Master's level staff. Second, programs usually have good luck placing their graduates locally, but not necessarily nationally. So if you attend Minnesota, your first job afterwards will likely be near Minneapolis, and likewise for Boston. Third, at least some employers expect that a biostatistics Master's degree will be two years full time. Having a one year Master's won't necessarily prevent you from being hired, but in some cases you will start off at a lower salary.   

Thank you for the reply. Those are really something to think about. 

On 10/02/2018 at 9:24 AM, AprilJ said:

I recently received admission offer from U of Minneasota and Boston U. Both are MS in Biostatistics program. I plan to go for a job after graduation. Both programs having pros and cons and it is really hard to reach a decision. For example, the program in Boston U is only one year, and it is surrounded by so many pharmaceutical companies which suggests more job opportunities. While U of M has a higher ranking, and it is highly possible to obtain financial funding support in the second year of study. Also my family is in Minneapolis, so I can live at home and save housing expenses if I attend U of M. Does anyone familiar with these two universities? Any suggestions? Thank you.

You mention that it is highly possible to obtain financial funding in the second year. Where/how did you get this information?

Edited by Cal1gula

2 hours ago, Cal1gula said:

You mention that it is highly possible to obtain financial funding in the second year. Where/how did you get this information?

I've talked with the biostatistics graduate programs coordinator at Minnesota and she had this to say:

"We make no offers of funding to MS or MPH applicants prior to April 15th. Some first year MS/MPH students receive partial funding; most (often all) second year MS students receive at least partial funding. Those decisions are not made until mid-August.  In addition, many of our students go find graduate research positions elsewhere on campus, usually as a statistical programmer, to support them while they complete their Biostat MS/MPH degree. "