Iowa State program

Hi,

I was considering applying for the stat PhD program at Iowa State for fall 2019 and they seem to be well ranked and have a lot of qualities in a school that I like. However, I've read that their reputation isn't as great any more and there aren't as many big names working in the department. Is that true, or are they still a reputable program that's considered top 20? Are they a program from which I would be able to get a good post doc position after graduating?

It might be overrated on US News by like 5-10 spots, but I don't think it's rated way too high - they have a bunch of active profs by looking at their recent publications. They are such a large department that there is a very wide range of quality of professors, though. 

17 hours ago, bayessays said:

It might be overrated on US News by like 5-10 spots, but I don't think it's rated way too high - they have a bunch of active profs by looking at their recent publications. They are such a large department that there is a very wide range of quality of professors, though. 

So a good post doc would be hard to get then even if I worked with an advisor with a good reputation?

No, I was saying the opposite. You should see if there are professors there you are interested in with good recent publications. It's not Stanford, though, so if you only care about program reputation and you got into another top 30 program, then go there. 

2 hours ago, bayessays said:

No, I was saying the opposite. You should see if there are professors there you are interested in with good recent publications. It's not Stanford, though, so if you only care about program reputation and you got into another top 30 program, then go there. 

Ah okay. Would you recommend UFL, UC Davis, and Rutgers? How are their reputations for placing students in academia? 

Florida has pretty strong placements, and I've seen some profs at other places who got their PhDs at Davis. I don't think Iowa State and Rutgers are as strong as them. 

These are just impressions I've gotten from reading their webpages and memories of seeing their students at other institutions, and I can't promise you my impressions are correct!