Got acceptance to Texas Tech, need help

thnok

There is always a but. After trying for the even second year with a full of rejects, I just got my first email of acceptance from Texas Tech University but I did not get any mention of the funding. They've asked me to contact the department. This is for the PhD program for Computer Science. Is this normal? Any advice on how to proceed? The graduate advisor of the department hasn't been helpful when I mailed about the funding, got a response saying its limited. I'm an international student so hard to accept the offer without any funding.

Edited by Cyril

It has taken over a month after acceptances for me to get my full funding package however usually there is someone helpful in the department to contact about that. I would consider seeing if the department has an office manager you could talk to or if you know who you want to work with try contacting them to see if they are looking for a research assistant. It is normal for funding to be department based in CS.

If they say the funding is limited they're likely speaking the truth but you should be able to get a finalized answer with 2-3 weeks if you will be offered funding prior or if it still cannot be guaranteed if you attend.

9 hours ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

congrats... is deadline 4/15?

Program deadline? Program was rolling basis. 

7 hours ago, Elephas said:

It has taken over a month after acceptances for me to get my full funding package however usually there is someone helpful in the department to contact about that. I would consider seeing if the department has an office manager you could talk to or if you know who you want to work with try contacting them to see if they are looking for a research assistant. It is normal for funding to be department based in CS.

If they say the funding is limited they're likely speaking the truth but you should be able to get a finalized answer with 2-3 weeks if you will be offered funding prior or if it still cannot be guaranteed if you attend.

Phew thanks for some words. I talked to the graduate advisor of the department and he wasn't that helpful. Should I start by emailing the professors or calling them to see if they have positions opening as RA? Only issue is that, for the I-20 I need the funding included if not I would have to show the total amount for the visa interview. 

I'm not familiar with that paperwork but I would consider emailing a professor or two you'd be interested in working with to discus their research and if they're looking for any assistants to their lab. I went on the Texas Tech website and based on the wording it seems like TAs are prioritized to current students however some exceptions are made to incoming students and that professors could be looking for RAs depending on their own funding.

1 hour ago, thnok said:

Program deadline? Program was rolling basis. 

Phew thanks for some words. I talked to the graduate advisor of the department and he wasn't that helpful. Should I start by emailing the professors or calling them to see if they have positions opening as RA? Only issue is that, for the I-20 I need the funding included if not I would have to show the total amount for the visa interview. 

deadline for a response back whether u accept or not...

worse case, how much $$$$ approx?

34 minutes ago, Elephas said:

I'm not familiar with that paperwork but I would consider emailing a professor or two you'd be interested in working with to discus their research and if they're looking for any assistants to their lab. I went on the Texas Tech website and based on the wording it seems like TAs are prioritized to current students however some exceptions are made to incoming students and that professors could be looking for RAs depending on their own funding.

Thank you. I noticed that depending on the things avail on the website as well but quite strange as its for a PhD and not to offer any funding. I will definitely start by sending some emails to the professors. Thank you.

weird... according to website

USC tries to fully fund all of its doctoral students. This general consists of tuition, a stipend for living expenses, and a health benefits package.

Admitted students receive information on the funding offer before they have to submit the Statement of Intent.

37 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

sorry... too many concurrent threads going on....  i got mixed up lol

but most of the time PhD are fully funded.  please find out & keep us posted :)  GL

no worries :D yeah will do.