Harvard-MIT HST MEMP Interviews

Midi

Does anyone have advice for preparing for interviews with the MIT-Harvard HST MEMP program? I know that they are technical and serious compared to other programs but I am wondering if there is anything I should prepare beyond having solid technical knowledge/understanding of my research experiences and being prepared to explain and defend my research proposal. Thanks for your help! 

Hi Midi. Through a random series of events I happen to come across your post. I am a current student in the program and would be happy to give you some general info.

The interviews for HST are a lot more serious than anywhere else I interviewed at. There are 2 panel interviews where multiple faculty and a current student that will ask questions. I found this to be more difficult since its a lot harder to steer the interview in a direction in your favor. If your research experience has anything to do with any of your panelist be very ready to explain and even whiteboard it. Depending on the faculty, they may ask you to do this even if they have no expertise; of course this is a lot easier to do since they won't know when you're not necessarily right. 

There are 1-1 meetings with faculty that are "non-evaluative" but remember your impression to everybody counts. You can be having a non-evaluative meeting with somebody, but they may be sitting on the admissions committee to decide what to do with you a week later.

The MEMP program also has many unique aspects that are not found anywhere else. I would make sure you are familiar with what they are and be ready to explain why they appeal to you.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Feel free to PM me. I'm sure I will be running into you at some point next week. 

Hi CardTricks. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question and for your insights. Perhaps I will speak to you in the next few days. I'll follow up via PM if I have any additional questions that don't get answered over the interview visit. Thanks again!