How to restart after rejection?

hello_me

Ok, I have gotten a bunch of rejections and I have a feeling that I might not go into my top choice university. Now the thing is, if I a really interested to go for a PhD in Machine Learning , how to improve my application for the next year. Should I go to industry and work for 2 to 3 years and then reapply. How to proceed from here? I would appreciate reply from students who did not got to their first choice in their 1st choice( sorry ... )

Thanks

M

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had any rejections uptil now and I am still waiting for replies from almost all unversities I have applied too.

However for your case i feel you should try getting some research papers and get them published in international publications, get strong LORs, make a strong SOP. No opinion regarding work ex as I am myself a final year undergrad student!

Hello,

I did not get into my top choice university, but was admitted to a number of highly respected ECE programs in the US. Machine Learning is a very competitive field to get admission into right now, so do not field discouraged in not receiving admission to your top choice. If you get into another school with your desired area of study and funding, it may be worth taking this option before going to industry. In my case, I definitely will be taking admission to schools (not first choice) but in my desired area with full funding before considering leaving for industry.

In any case, going into industry for a couple years is a sound idea. You will gain a lot of experience, and receive strong letters of support which will assist in your re-application. If possible, attempt to get a research internship at a university or at national labs which provide data science/machine learning experience (this may be challenging, especially once you do not have student status, but if you are able to secure such a position it will be really valuable).

I also recommend you have a github and take well-recognized machine learning courses online. I believe that some schools offer online data science programs which you may consider. With related-industry experience (in data analysis/science machine learning)/or research experience, strong letters of support, development of portfolio of projects, and completion of online courses in machine learning/further indpt study in machine learning I believe you will have strengthened your application and return as a very competitive applicant.

I hope this is of some assistance to you.