Georgetown or American MPP

34d

So GPPI has decided not to offer me any funding.... Even though American has yet to respond with its financial aid offer, since the cost of its MPP program is based on credits, even if I get no funding from SPA the cost of attendance is about half of Georgetown's. Does anyone have insight into American's MPP program? On these boards the information seems to be mostly about GU or GW. However, even before GPPI's offer (or lack thereof) I was having a hard time deciding between the two programs (though I was leaning towards GU). I'll just list some pros of both programs below and see what others think.

Pros of GPPI: -classes are taught by professors with substantially more experience outside of academia (maybe better networking, more focus on practice than theory)

-based on employment numbers from both schools, graduates of GPPI were earning around $10k/year more right after graduation

-"prestige" (international family members have all heard of gtown, no one knows about american; might explain above point?)

-extra 3 electives allows one to take classes from the law or IR school

-capstone thesis provides a permanent record of work

Pros of American SPA: -program's focus on practice (policy practicum and 48-hr policy project)

-linked to above, the required internship is good for someone like me with limited WE

-its program has been around a lot longer than GU's (larger MPP alumni network)

-might learn more/better from professors whose full-time job is to teach

-cost! 2 years at american costs about the same as 1 year at GU

I am wondering how everyone is hearing back with financial aid offers. I was offered admission on February 23rd and have yet to hear anything about financial aid. Do they send out that information in batches?

I'm not in the MPP program at AU, but I have friends who are, and they really seem to enjoy it, for what it's worth. You can also take classes (not sure how many) at SIS as an MPP student, which a lot of people do, apparently, particularly within the US foreign policy concentration. I think there are quite a few adjuncts in the program (the pros and cons of this are debatable, but I've found adjuncts in my program to be awesome), too.

Bump? I know a lot more about SIS and when I was still considering IR it was one of my top choices, but it really seems like American's MPP/MPA gets overlooked a lot compared to GU or GWU. I can't believe I'm the only person who applied to both GU and American, though it does seem like those who apply to GU often ignore American. Can't wait until admits day; though American's only reception day is the same day as Gtown's (can't make the other GU date). Hopefully spending 9-10 hours in the company of my future GU or SPA peers will clear things up.

I am wondering how everyone is hearing back with financial aid offers. I was offered admission on February 23rd and have yet to hear anything about financial aid. Do they send out that information in batches?

Congrats, intelman. I was accepted to American's MPP program yesterday. The email they send said decisions were made in late February and that we would hear word about merit based money "starting in March." That's a pretty big window though so I guess we'll have to wait a bit.

Congrats, intelman. I was accepted to American's MPP program yesterday. The email they send said decisions were made in late February and that we would hear word about merit based money "starting in March." That's a pretty big window though so I guess we'll have to wait a bit.

I spoke with someone in American's SPA Admissions Office yesterday, and they said that merit aid decisions would be going out this week via email and postal. So that narrows your wait a bit. ;)

I spoke with someone in American's SPA Admissions Office yesterday, and they said that merit aid decisions would be going out this week via email and postal. So that narrows your wait a bit. ;)

I just got an email from American with my scholarship/assistantship offer for the MPP program at about 1pm. So it looks like they've started sending the emails. I'm at the beginning of the alphabet, though, so my guess is I got my email way earlier than most people will.

I got my scholarship/assistantship info around 1 today too. I was all set to go with Georgetown (debt and all) but this is a sizeable enough offer for me to reconsider everything again. My thinking was assuming around $800/month student loan repayments, that's $9600/year; that's close to the difference between the average salaries of GU and SPA grads. However, with the finaid from American the difference increases quite a bit. Cmon admits day...give me a sign!

What was your scholarship offer? (If you don't mind me asking.) I was admitted but haven't heard anything about funding (my last name is closer to the end of the alphabet @_@).

And to respond to some of the people who have expressed reservations about American University, I have to say I am in the same boat. I don't know if the school is better known on the east coast, but here in California people look at me like I am planning to go to a school in Cairo or the Bahamas. They've never heard of it. I have to take that into consideration because I'd like to work in the Bay Area.

People love Georgetown in California, but cost is a big factor.

What was your scholarship offer? (If you don't mind me asking.) I was admitted but haven't heard anything about funding (my last name is closer to the end of the alphabet @_@).

And to respond to some of the people who have expressed reservations about American University, I have to say I am in the same boat. I don't know if the school is better known on the east coast, but here in California people look at me like I am planning to go to a school in Cairo or the Bahamas. They've never heard of it. I have to take that into consideration because I'd like to work in the Bay Area.

People love Georgetown in California, but cost is a big factor.

Putoots,

It's helpful to hear your thoughts about American's reputation on the West Coast. As an East Coaster, I've always known the school's name and have always thought of it as a pretty strong school for those interested in going into government work. Georgetown obviously has a certain cache, but I think most people on the East Coast have at least heard of American (and may or may not know a little something about it).

As for my scholarship offer, I got 18 credit hours and a $9,000 assistantship, renewable for a second year. Even though American may not be very well known on the West Coast, compared to the debt I'd have to take on to attend Georgetown (even with a scholarship offer from them), American's sounding pretty good...

I'm really confused. I received this email from American:

Congratulations on your acceptance to the School of Public Affairs at American University for Fall 2010. You are cordially invited to attend our annual Graduate Day on Friday, March 26, 2010 from 3:00PM - 8:00PM or on Monday, March 29, 2010 from 10:00AM - 4:00PM. ....etc etc etc

But, I never got a formal acceptance. I only got this invitation to come to this day. Am I missing something? Did I get this email by mistake; I feel like everyone got a formal acceptance email!

Putoots,

It's helpful to hear your thoughts about American's reputation on the West Coast. As an East Coaster, I've always known the school's name and have always thought of it as a pretty strong school for those interested in going into government work. Georgetown obviously has a certain cache, but I think most people on the East Coast have at least heard of American (and may or may not know a little something about it).

As for my scholarship offer, I got 18 credit hours and a $9,000 assistantship, renewable for a second year. Even though American may not be very well known on the West Coast, compared to the debt I'd have to take on to attend Georgetown (even with a scholarship offer from them), American's sounding pretty good...

Congratulations on the award! After my admission email, I never received any word from either American U or Georgetown regarding scholarships or other merit-based awards, which probably counts both of them out for me since I was also admitted to UCLA, Heinz, and Brown (the second two offered me money).

I'd love to go to Georgetown (even American would be great if I stayed on the east coast) but I can't justify the cost without some kind scholarship.

Note: I receive an email from American U this morning stating that the first round of merit awards had gone out last week via email and regular mail. A second round will go out after the April 15th deadline (I'm assuming they will reassign the awards that were not accepted).

• 2 weeks later...

So RE: Funding:

I called the office today because I was accepted almost a three weeks ago and have yet to hear anything about funding. She said the first round of scholarships went out a couple of weeks ago, but that there would be a second round in mid-April. I assume that this round is for people who rejected their offers and they can then offer the money to someone else.