FUNDING OFFERS

worldly

Some things to think about when considering offers:

First and foremost get the offer in writing. Sometimes you will get an informal phone call from the person who deals with funding. They should follow up with either and email or a letter that outlines what you were told. Make sure that you get that and keep it.  Schools are very busy at this time of year what with potential incoming students and current students who are finishing the semester so be patient.

1. You may have received an offer of full tuition.

Does this include fees as well? Sometimes a school will offer a tuition rebate but they don't cover fees which can be 1000-2000$ or more per semester.

2. How many years of your program is the tuition waiver for? Just the first year or the entire program?

3. Is the waiver for the entire amount of out of state tuition? or just does the school just waive the in state amount? You want to know how much if any tuition you will have to pay.

4. Stipends and Fellowships: If you get a Teaching Assistant Stipend (TA) or Graduate Assistantship how many hours a week do you have to work?10,20 ? ?

Does the TA/GA include health insurance? This is an excellent benefit. How many years will you receive the TA/GA for?

Is it possible to get a GA/TA  for the summer session? Not as common but doesn't hurt to ask. If so can you take a summer course and is it covered?

Fellowships don't usually include health insurance. You don't have to work for the fellowship except on your art of course.

Sometimes a school will offer small scholarships as well.

Sometimes there are scholarships you can apply for. Are there any that apply to your situation, diversity, need, etc?

5. What opportunities are there to work on campus?

How many hours is a graduate student officially allowed to work?

Note that the whole purpose of getting your MFA is to have time to concentrate on your art and keep that in mind when committing to outside jobs.

6. If you have been accepted to several schools you might want to negotiate.

Schools that are waiting to hear from you as to whether you will attend or not might send you an email to inquire if you are coming. This could be a good time to Inform the schools via email that you have been accepted at other schools and that you are concerned about funding/or waiting to hear about offers from other schools.You don't have to say where initially although they might ask you and you don't have to say what your other offers are unless they ask. Ask if they have room to enhance their offer. If the school has the money and really wants you there they may well come through. At the same time, some schools just don't have more money to offer even though they want you. Some schools don't give full tuition waivers to anyone. Some schools such as those in New York or Los Angeles see their location as an incentive and don't offer much if any funding.

Note that as some students decline their offers at a particular school and decide to go elsewhere, this might open up more funding to give to someone who received a lesser offer so hang in there.

All the be$t to everyone!

Amazingly helpful information, thank you!

Just wondering if I received a phone call on acceptance but the caller has no idea on the status of funding, should I be reaching out myself to relevant department on the issue or sit and wait for more information at this time? .....do they usually come out later? I'm international too, so I also have little idea how this pertains to me.

Edited by soymilk