The subtle art of emailing to ask about admissions decisions

potentiallylovely

So there are two schools that I interviewed with over a month ago, and I'm still waiting to hear back from both.  They're my two top choices, and they're driving me crazy.  I've kept in contact with a few people from both interview weekends who have already gotten acceptances, and I've already seen decisions from both schools posted on the results forum.  So, this is actually a two-part question:  

1.  What does it usually mean when some people are getting accepted and others are hearing nothing?  I can't quite wrap my head around why a program wouldn't just send all admissions decisions at once.  I'm assuming it just means that I wasn't one of the top choices, and they're waiting to see how many people decline their offers before sending decisions out to more applicants.  This obviously isn't the situation I'd like to be in (but if this is the case, I'd also much rather them tell me that directly than say nothing).  Are there any other potential explanations for this?  

2.  I'm strongly considering emailing the program coordinators at both schools to inquire about admissions decisions.  I've heard mixed advice about doing this, though, and I definitely wouldn't want to do it if it could damage my chances for admission.  I was considering mentioning in the emails that some of the people I'd kept in contact with had gotten acceptances, thinking that might elicit a more direct answer.  Again, is this a bad idea?  Any suggestions regarding how to word these emails to be polite and respectful, but also to get direct answers?   

Literally in the same situation. I think departments send out their letters in waves so that they can achieve their target number of students they want to accept each year. If a department sends out all of their acceptance letters at once (and assuming a lot of people will accept the offer), then the department will have a very difficult time to fund everyone. On a related noted, a possible explanation is that the department is still trying to piece together your funding. They might have a strong applicant pool this year, and they still want you, but they might be tighter on funding.

For your second question: I was just talking to my current academic advisor the other day about this. They said to politely e-mail the department graduate staff/assistant/etc. and ask about your situation indirectly (I know! It's so frustrating!). Do not mention the other people! It makes you look not independent. Just mention how it's late in the application cycle and you need an approximate date to plan for your future. However, if the department assistant provides you with a vague response, wait another week or so and then send your POI/your connections a more direct (but still polite, respectful, and not-too-direct) e-mail.

I would only ever email to ask about decisions if you need to know this information because of a deadline on another decision. For example, if your 3rd choice school has made you an offer and want you to respond by March 15, then it would make sense to email your top 2 choices to see if you are even still in the running. 

Otherwise, I think it is more professional to find another way to release the stress/anxiety/frustration of not yet hearing while others have heard back. 

Good question and I agree with the answer of TakeruK.

That is the situation that I was/am in.  School A would like to have my decision next week, but I have yet to hear back from my other top choices.  So I contacted Schools B, C and D about my decision timeline yesterday.  I did not ask about the outcome of my application specifically, only about the timeline of the decision.  I also informed them about the School A deadline.  Schools B, C and D answered immediately informing me that I could expect a positive outcome and that they would speed up the process in my case.  For two schools, I contacted the DGS.  For the third school, I asked the POI because it is not clear who is heading the admissions process.

My take is that if a school wants you, then they will extend an offer to you even if you contact them (assuming that you have a good reason to do so).

If you are certain what your top choice is, you may only need to contact one school. However, I really like all the programmes, which is why I contacted more than one.

(PS: That reads as if I had been admitted everywhere, but trust me, I have received rejections as well.)