UPenn Has Notified Everyone Already

I thought it prudent to share this information. UPenn's department website clearly states:

All applicants who were accepted into the PhD program and those on the PhD waitlist were already notified on February 26th.

The site link: http://www.english.u.../Grad/admit.php

If that means they don't feel the need to send out rejection letters I will be cross. I think we all at least deserve a mass email, especially after they kept the whole 'only six acceptances' malarkey under their hats.

That's such an inappropriate way to treat applicants. People apply to a school as a gesture of respect, and they place a great deal of hope on that process. That message on Penn's site is so arrogantly snotty and exasperated; how hard is it to send out a mass-email or field a few phone calls? I can guarantee that everyone who applied spent a lot of time and money doing so, and the least Penn can do is extend a bit of respect in return. I'm glad I didn't apply, and I feel bad for those who did.

That's such an inappropriate way to treat applicants. People apply to a school as a gesture of respect, and they place a great deal of hope on that process. That message on Penn's site is so arrogantly snotty and exasperated; how hard is it to send out a mass-email or field a few phone calls? I can guarantee that everyone who applied spent a lot of time and money doing so, and the least Penn can do is extend a bit of respect in return. I'm glad I didn't apply, and I feel bad for those who did.

I don't think the message itself is disrespectful. The bold and underlined font? Yes, that seems like an expression of exasperation that could, in turn, be pretty aggravating. That said, most of the schools to which I've applied seem to operate under an unofficial policy of "don't call us, we'll call you." To see acceptances on the results board and then have to wait 2+ weeks to get a letter stating the inevitable would be, in my opinion, far more emotionally taxing. I certainly hope that Penn sends out at least an email to those of us who weren't admitted, and if they don't, I'm calling shenanigans. In the meantime, though, I actually found it fairly relieving to see my own unwritten assumption in writing, even if the font is fug.

I think its really shitty not to send out a mass rejection email, at the very least. I know they got 600+ apps, but its not that hard to send out a rejection notification. The implication that its not even worth their time to send out a "thank you for applying but we cannot offer you a space" email or SOMETHING is just needlessly belittling. And frankly I assumed that they WOULD be notifying us so I wasnt checking their site at all. I would never have seen that if a friend hadnt told me about it and if I didnt know about grad cafe. So screw you Penn and thank you Grad Cafe.

Edit: I will retract this rant if I get an official notification of some kind. Im only mad if they leave us hanging.

Edited by Red Herring

Not to deliberately play devil's advocate (I'm bitter too, no worries), but if all the schools that have accepted and waitlisted people are, in fact, done doing so, then this should be considered an early notification from Penn, not a late one. I'm sitting on a pile of implicit rejections, and this notification, impersonal though it may be, makes Penn the first school I can officially scratch off my list. If this is the only notification rejected applicants will receive, that's cold. If not, then I appreciate knowing definitively before they got everything together for the mass rejection mailing/email.

(Of course, does that refund the 80 dollars I spent applying, unaware they would be making only six offers? Welcome home, bitterness.)

Edited by Caved

Hey all,

I'm sure they will be notifying you officially by e-mail; I more think they're trying to avoid those 600+ people you mention calling/emailing them/etc. trying to figure out the status of the process. They're not exactly overstaffed, over there. They're not doing it ti be rude.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity (don't worry, I have no delusions - already accepted into my top choice), has anyone yet to receive a rejection notification from UPenn's English program? My status on the online application hasn't changed.

Hey all,

I'm sure they will be notifying you officially by e-mail; I more think they're trying to avoid those 600+ people you mention calling/emailing them/etc. trying to figure out the status of the process. They're not exactly overstaffed, over there. They're not doing it ti be rude.

Out of curiosity (don't worry, I have no delusions - already accepted into my top choice), has anyone yet to receive a rejection notification from UPenn's English program? My status on the online application hasn't changed.

I got an official notification on March 8.