MPA / MPP / Phd Policy Admissions 2008

Hi guys!

I just got into MPA at Brown University. They offered me 14,000 only. Do you guys think it is worth getting indebted to go to Brown? Is their MPA program any good? I am still waiting for a reply from NYU Wagner, but somehow I doubt it, as I heard many people have already heard from them.

Thanks for your suggestions and advise and big congrats to you all who got in and good luck for the ones waiting

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is UMD's program in College Park? If so you can definitely live in DC...just take the green line to CP.

Yes, its College Park... I heard that the green line is a pain (with the train then bus route)... and not the safest at night...but I could be wrong?

ok, that's not very reassuring :( but thanks for the comment. does any of you here know whether the MPA at brown is any good or would you say that for instance, Wagner is better?

Haha I didn't mean to be discouraging. i'm in the exact same boat. i am very seriously and thoroughly weighing the pros and cons of carrying so much debt.

from what i've heard, the brown program is a bit more "regional" and may not have the broad appeal of a DC school/Columbia/KGS/WWS or even UChicago. the program is also very new , so you never know where it might go. this could be good or bad.

i honestly don't know too much about wagner... all I know is that NY is way too expensive for me... so I wrote off NYU and Columbia for myself at the beginning of the process.

Hi,

I am an international student and got through the PhD in Public Administration & Policy program at GWU, but am yet to receive the official letter giving the funding (hopefully) details.

I see that that there is one other poster on the results page who has made it to this program. It would be great if the poster or anyone else who is aware, can shed some light on the sort of funding package GWU offers.

Thanks!

Yes, its College Park... I heard that the green line is a pain (with the train then bus route)... and not the safest at night...but I could be wrong?

Don't know much about the buses to the station, but the green line is generally fine in terms of safety (coming from someone who used to take it daily) as long as you're not taking it across the anacostia.

Is UMD's program in College Park? If so you can definitely live in DC...just take the green line to CP.

Ugh. Anyone else just somewhat sick of waiting?

I have been refreshing my inbox every few seconds and refreshing the results page here just as often! it's horrible! last night I dreamed that my admission to UChicago was contingent upon my winning some quiz show on television.

Well, yes.

It gets worse as time passes. I got into my first program a month ago (Duke MPP), and the other programs I applied to (KSG, WWS, and the Ford School at UMich) won't let me know until (as you know) around mid March it seems.

Still, your stats are rather impressive, so I doubt you'll be left out of both places. Don't worry, but do know that the next week won't be fun. Why do you want an MPP alongside the law degree, again? Do you plan to practice at all?

Well, yes.

It gets worse as time passes. I got into my first program a month ago (Duke MPP), and the other programs I applied to (KSG, WWS, and the Ford School at UMich) won't let me know until (as you know) around mid March it seems.

Still, your stats are rather impressive, so I doubt you'll be left out of both places. Don't worry, but do know that the next week won't be fun. Why do you want an MPP alongside the law degree, again? Do you plan to practice at all?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do plan on practicing - my focus right now (I mean, as far as 1Ls have a 'focus') is on administrative/regulatory law...I strongly suspect that I will be working at a firm in DC upon graduation and dealing w/ tech/environmental regulation of some sort, but my overall goal after that is to use that time to gain further legal training/experience and to settle down a bit and pay off my loans. Following that, I hope to transition to the government, where the MPP will come more into play (as managing attorneys in agencies both practice law but also play a role in developing policy). I saw the dramatic limitations of only holding a JD when I was working in DC...knowledge of economics, policy formulation, etc were practically foreign to many attorneys. Rather than going back to school to pick up greater experience in those realms after working for a firm, I'd rather knock it out now while I'm still in school in order to save time/money and because it doesn't make much sense to postpone learning more about policy/economics and all that.

I have been refreshing my inbox every few seconds and refreshing the results page here just as often! it's horrible! last night I dreamed that my admission to UChicago was contingent upon my winning some quiz show on television.

I feel your pain! For some reason I had a feeling I would hear back from at least one program today, but no matter how much I seem to refresh my inbox nothing appears! I guess no news is better than bad news!

Word.

Sorry, I don't really have anything constructive to add, just wanted to join the pity party!

same here :)

Ugh, my top choice program likely wont tell me until late next week, and since georgetown told me I had until Thursday to hear about funding... and its tuesday evening, I think I didn't pull it off there (fingers crossed though)

I think outlook is going to explode if I click "send/receive" one more time!

same here :)

Ugh, my top choice program likely wont tell me until late next week, and since georgetown told me I had until Thursday to hear about funding... and its tuesday evening, I think I didn't pull it off there (fingers crossed though)

I think outlook is going to explode if I click "send/receive" one more time!

oh my god... my HEAD is going to explode, not just my computer. I have so much work to do right now too. It's all going to bite me in the ass.

plus, people keep freaking me out and giving me near-heart attacks by posting stuff like "anyone heard yet?" except my heart JUMPS before my brain processes what is written and for half a second I believe decisions have gone out.

i really need to calm myself.

same here and I am really tired of the waiting game...why those school dont wanna tell me the decision and let me wait until april??i know it pretty much means "unqualified" but i hope to know it for certain........i'll be ok with whatever results...but not "pending"...

tired.........

As I said, it only gets worse...so try not to focus on it TOO much.

The Ford School appears to be sending out initial acceptances, judging by the results reported here. Seeing as that's a school I applied to, you can only imagine the heightened anxiety that is resulting.