Should i be worried?

arseus

I need to know whether i should call the program to ask them about the status of my application.

i had a phone interview from penn state genetics program a week ago and i thought it went pretty well...the guys only asked me two questions (about why i wanted to go there and about my research project)...but the rest of the time he was answering my qeustions about the program. He said he'd know something in about a week's time. Well today it has been a week and a day and i don't know if i should be worried. Should i wait a few more days and then email the guy who interviewed me? This is the only interview out of three applications that i've got and i hope i get in so i'm kinda freaking out...

Thanks for reading this far. Any advice would be appreciated.

In my experience, if they tell you a week, give it two. I had one school that told me interview invites would go out in late January, but I got mine in late February instead after spending a month wondering what was up since they had strongly implied I'd get one. I don't think any school has held to its promised time line. So I would give it two weeks and then ask about the status.

Well today it has been a week and a day

I'm in the same boat -- I had an interview last Monday, too -- and it's so hard not to stress. I am telling myself that I was among the first to interview, that they may be interviewing even now, and I am hopeful to hear by the end of the week. I suppose that I may be in touch with them if I don't hear anything by the weekend, but in my experience, deadlines are often loose in academia...

I am in the same boat! My program's website says that all applicants will be notified on Mar 1. I had emailed last week (as I had heard decisions had already been made), and was told to wait until Mar 1, which was the deadline. When I didn't hear yesterday, I couldn't help but email again (it's annoying, I know, but I spent most of the day yesterday ready to throw up, so I figured emailing me back was the least they could do), and I STILL haven't heard anything.

ARG!

In my experience, if they tell you a week, give it two. I had one school that told me interview invites would go out in late January, but I got mine in late February instead after spending a month wondering what was up since they had strongly implied I'd get one. I don't think any school has held to its promised time line. So I would give it two weeks and then ask about the status.

Yeah i think i will do that...give them this week to respond. i hope it never comes to contacting them myself.. the stories i've heard on this forum about people calling to check their status always end in rejection. :(

!! Good for you arseus, congrats!!

...I am pretty much where you were when you posted. My interview said they would be meeting to make decisions on Mar 1, and so I told myself I would not expect anything until Friday. Well, now it's Friday and I'm freaking out because they didn't make MY deadline that I invented. *facepalm* It's like...I know I just need to sit tight and relax, but I can't help freaking out.