SJSU MSW Applicants

I applied for the 3 year part time Master of Social Work program at San Jose State University and am anxiously waiting for an approval decision. Has anyone received their decision yet?

22 hours ago, Snowflake99 said:

I applied for the 3 year part time Master of Social Work program at San Jose State University and am anxiously waiting for an approval decision. Has anyone received their decision yet?

Helloooo! I applied for the online program. Still no answer!

11 hours ago, jenMSW2018 said:

Helloooo! I applied for the online program. Still no answer!

Hi Jen! At least I'm not the only one who hasn't heard =)

1 hour ago, Snowflake99 said:

Hi Jen! At least I'm not the only one who hasn't heard =)

I’ll start worrying when people hear back and I haven’t. HOPEFULLY! They get back to us before the month ends. According to past posts, people received a phone call about getting accepted instead of an email or an application update. 

Edited by jenMSW2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, BananaSlug4MSW said:

Hi! I'm applying for the 3 year part time program too! What concentration are you going for? I applied for mental health and children and families. I submitted my application mid-January and I'm still waiting too. Good luck!!

I applied for the children, youth and families concentration. Received a generic mass email stating decisions are starting to be sent out and don't worry if you haven't heard yet because decisions could be sent as late as June 1. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer! Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Snowflake99 said:

Has anyone heard from San Jose State MSW program? I'm still waiting for a decision, applied for the 3 year part time program

I'm also still waiting to hear for the 3 year part time program. It seems like offers have gone out for sure to the online/hybrid applicants and maybe to the full time on campus program? I just wish they would send out some part time ones already :unsure:

6 hours ago, BananaSlug4MSW said:

I'm also still waiting to hear for the 3 year part time program. It seems like offers have gone out for sure to the online/hybrid applicants and maybe to the full time on campus program? I just wish they would send out some part time ones already :unsure:

*fingers crossed* I wonder if they got a larger than normal amount of applications to go through? I know two people  applying for 3 year PT as well and they haven't heard either. I'll post on the Results page once I do find out

On 4/10/2018 at 7:15 PM, Snowflake99 said:

*fingers crossed* I wonder if they got a larger than normal amount of applications to go through? I know two people  applying for 3 year PT as well and they haven't heard either. I'll post on the Results page once I do find out

New week.... Have you heard anything???? This wait is too much lol

Hello Lovely People!

My status has just changed to "Accepted-Classified Graduate."

I applied on 1/31/2018 and opted for the 3 year part time, 2 year full time then the Online/Hybrid, in that order of preference.

I have not been notified which program I have been accepted to but I will update everyone as soon as I find out.

Good Luck Everyone!!

1 hour ago, NessitaD said:

Hello Lovely People!

My status has just changed to "Accepted-Classified Graduate."

I applied on 1/31/2018 and opted for the 3 year part time, 2 year full time then the Online/Hybrid, in that order of preference.

I have not been notified which program I have been accepted to but I will update everyone as soon as I find out.

Good Luck Everyone!!

Exciting!! Congratulations! I just checked my status, MySJSU still says "Referred to Grad Dept." and the Social Work Admission site still says "Received" under status. Did you see you were accepted through MySJSU? I applied only for the 3 year part time since I need to work while in school. Congratulations again!

15 hours ago, Snowflake99 said:

Exciting!! Congratulations! I just checked my status, MySJSU still says "Referred to Grad Dept." and the Social Work Admission site still says "Received" under status. Did you see you were accepted through MySJSU? I applied only for the 3 year part time since I need to work while in school. Congratulations again!

Thank you! My status has changed in the MySJSU Portal. It went from "Referred to Grad Dept" to "Accepted-Classified Graduate." Nothing changed for me in the Social Work Admission site.  

Hello! I am currently in undergrad at SJSU and graduating this spring. I applied to the MSW program on 1/19 and am still "Refer to grad dept - provisional". I've felt in the dark about the application process and am glad to find this forum!

I have friends who work in the GAPE office and because I am still in undergrad, my situation might be unique in the sense that the MSW program may be waiting for my final transcript, but may not. I also shared the mixed reactions to the generic email over spring break. 

All I know is that the MSW received their budget and then started accepting for mainly the new online program. I would prefer the 2 year in person, but am just playing the waiting game...
 I feel qualified based on what the MSW program publicized as qualifications. My social experience would be my weakness. My GPA is pretty solid. It has been an antsy semester in this weird limbo of grad school or nah? get a job or nah? I also only applied to SJSU as I have fallen in love with it during my undergrad.

Congrats to everyone who has heard of their decision, that's awesome! I hope to share that experience.

I still haven't received a decision either way, still hoping to get in but my hope that I got in diminishes daily. Good luck to you all still waiting too and congratulations to those that have been admitted! Please post on the results page as soon as you get a decision please...

On 4/27/2018 at 3:50 PM, Snowflake99 said:

I still haven't received a decision either way, still hoping to get in but my hope that I got in diminishes daily. Good luck to you all still waiting too and congratulations to those that have been admitted! Please post on the results page as soon as you get a decision please...

SAME ?

Hey guys! I've totally been ghosting this thread for months but just wanted to say that I received my acceptance email today! The status on MySJSU account hadn't changed, though, so I called the school and they said as long as the email came from the department, then I'm accepted. I'll be doing the Online/Hybrid program come fall :)

I don't know if it helps anyone but my stats are:

3.6 GPA

BS of Psychology 

Psychology tutor, employed by my undergrad

0 (none) volunteer/work experience that is directly related to social work

Work in a counseling clinic as an office assistant (this was also my internship)

Years (I began in the 5th grade) of volunteer experience with things like mentoring "at risk" children, training guide dogs, peer counseling and being Mental Health First Aide Certified 

Very strong letters of recommendation: one from my boss, one from a professor that I am close with, and one from the Department Chair of the Psychology program at my undergrad school 

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Edited by PsychtoSocialWork

Those around me wanted me to call as I am still waiting for a decision and I finally got the courage to do so and it was worthless...Still waiting?
Were still under review...

Me and two other people I know applying for the 3 year part time program are still waiting...no denial but also no acceptance....yet. I was excited and impatient a month ago and now I just feel resigned and am losing hope I'll get in. I'm starting to make a plan B for this next year to be ready for the next application cycle, just in case. Thanks for checking back in!

2 hours ago, Snowflake99 said:

Me and two other people I know applying for the 3 year part time program are still waiting...no denial but also no acceptance....yet. I was excited and impatient a month ago and now I just feel resigned and am losing hope I'll get in. I'm starting to make a plan B for this next year to be ready for the next application cycle, just in case. Thanks for checking back in!

I am feeling the same way, I have already sent out some job applications as my plan B. I know of acceptances going out for some, but I am not sure about rejections, thus I do not know if I should feel like I am actually still being considered. I hope we all hear back soon. 

Also, the internship fair for those who were accepted is on May 21st. If they want us to go, well they need to accept us. So, I am believing in knowing by then and if not, then I will accept a rejection until I truly know by June 1st. 

Hi Everyone! 

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm totally stressing about when they'll let me know! I got into San Diego State's MSW program and I've been holding off on accepting my internship there because I want to hear from SJSU. Does anyone know their acceptance rate? I've been trying to find it online and haven't been successful. 

2 hours ago, kelseyk said:

Hi Everyone! 

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm totally stressing about when they'll let me know! I got into San Diego State's MSW program and I've been holding off on accepting my internship there because I want to hear from SJSU. Does anyone know their acceptance rate? I've been trying to find it online and haven't been successful. 

Welcome to the stress center! lol

I found their admissions stats for the social work program through this link: http://www.iea.sjsu.edu/Programs/ProgRev/programs.cfm?program=SCWK
It even lets you organize it by various categories which is pretty cool.

Hope we all get some good news this week! Keep on keepin on everyone :)