UCSD GPS 2018

glopez

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, wms9768 said:

Hey folks, I'll be starting the MIA program this fall, and will also be attending summer prep.  I would love to start linking with people.  Also, I just recently made the move from LA to SD, and if anybody has any questions about off campus housing I might be able to help!

Out of curiosity did any of you folks attend the admitted students day? I'm wondering if we might have bumped into one another

Also, I wanted to add my 2 cents on the PhD side of GPS.  I originally applied to the PhD program, and was subsequently denied and offered a spot in the MIA program.  I talked with career services and they assured me that although they don't put out a ton of PhD students there are definitely resources for those who are considering that route.  I also believe one of the capstone courses is geared towards creating a research paper for academically/PhD minded folks.  I also second that UCSD's Political Science PhD program is phenomenal.  I've heard it referred to as one of the best routes in the US to a full time professorship.

Also, regarding the private sector statistics, Career Services really seems to take pride in that number. For me, it was one of the reasons I chose GPS.  I see it as a broadening of options particularly for those who, like me, are worried about debt/job prospects post masters.

Hey there! Are you doing QM and Math for the prep program? 

I did attend the admitted student day. I was with the MPP group. Thanks for filling us in about the PhD program -- its something I was considering for later down the road. 

If you don't mind me asking, what part of SD did you relocate to? 

5 hours ago, glopez said:

Hey there! Are you doing QM and Math for the prep program? 

I did attend the admitted student day. I was with the MPP group. Thanks for filling us in about the PhD program -- its something I was considering for later down the road. 

If you don't mind me asking, what part of SD did you relocate to? 

Hey!  

I'm taking QM and Math, and also opted into the Econ.  The MPP and MIA session was at the same time correct?

I ended up getting a spot pretty much in the middle of downtown.  I'm about a 20-45 minute drive from campus depending on traffic, and also have the option of taking the bus on weekdays (~60 minutes including a short walk).    Everything is extremely walkable and surprisingly affordable (compared to LA). 

Nice! I'm debating whether I should take QM....I was able to opt out of all of them but I think I will miss out on an opportunity to get to know classmates / professors in a more relaxed setting but I'm not sure if I can justify the cost / time commitment.