Thoughts and opinions on Columbia and Yale

marid

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what's everyone's opinion on the two schools for MPH? Considering a track in either Health Policy or Hospital Management and both programs seem great, but I'm unsure which one is best. To be honest, I was gun-ho about applying to Yale because I've heard great things about their program--small, hands-on education approach and no GPAs! But when I went to Columbia's open house, I was blown away especially about their network and career services which I heard was pretty good (though I will take this with a grain of salt as I spoke to student reps and staff). What is everyone's opinion on the two? Does anyone know someone who went to either one? 

I really really like Yale's program, but at the end of the day, I will be incurring debt and  will need to be realistic on what the career prospects each school offers. Not saying that Yale's career services are bad, but I feel like Columbia's is more extensive.  Also, I do hope to work in NYC one day particularly in programs  for the city or go to consulting.

• 2 weeks later...

Columbia does have great resources and alumni from what I understand, but keep in mind that in addition to debt, you're also going to have to live in a super expensive city. In terms of wanting to work in NYC post-grad, New Haven is in a part of CT that's essentially a suburb of NYC so I'm sure the Yale program has plenty of connections and alums there. It sounds like you really love the Yale program and although Columbia is also obviously a great school, I don't know that its career services/job placement are necessarily that much better than Yale's that it should be a deciding factor.

Thanks for your reply! I should also note that I live in NYC rent free with family which is also a strong point for Columbia. Still undecided, having went to school in NY I feel the need to get away but I don't think that warrants taking out even more money. I do love the Yale atmosphere and education which I feel is stronger than Columbia, but ultimately it comes to down to job prospects. Thoughts?