UMD or Northeastern: Literature MA

aBlank

I was recently accepted into both Northeastern and the UMD's Masters of Arts program for English Literature. Northeastern has offered a 50% tuition remission scholarship and from what I understand, students are also able to work on campus. UMD's acceptance letter only came with an invitation to apply for GAships with no guarantee. I didn't have to take out any loans for undergraduate school, so I am in over my head trying to figure out how all of this works, and I have to make a decision by April 1st on which school I'm going to. I think I would prefer UMD because its a lot closer to home, but I also don't want to have to take out a massive amount of loans to get my MA. I'm the first in my family to try and go to graduate school, and trying to figure all this out on my own is overwhelming to say the least, does anyone have any advice? 

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to closely compare their websites and the actual programs to see which you like better and which offers more opportunities. Ideally, visiting each school would help you made your decision (not sure if you could take a train up to Boston and check out Northeastern, stay overnight at a Holiday Inn or something then head back the next day). Boston is a terrific city and Northeastern has a subway on campus. Do the math on what you will owe when you are done with the programs. Best of luck!