I couldn't find a good decisions thread for International Relations masters so I figured I'd start my own -- currently over analyzing every minute of every day which program I should accept for my masters degree.  I am an older student and would like to end up at the United Nations (either US or abroad).  I am currently deciding between:

SIPA - accepted with no aid

Fletcher - accepted with significant scholarship

I keep going back and forth between the financial benefit of attending Fletcher (and the focus on law and diplomacy); and the proximity to the UN of SIPA and of course my dream of attending Columbia.  I am also still waiting to hear back from London School of Economics, which is a one year program (vs. two for Fletcher/SIPA).  SIPA and LSE appear to be more well known than Fletcher globally, but I really don't have a good grasp on what the best decision is.

Sorry for rambling, thoughts and guidance is much appreciated :)

I can't speak from experience, but the Diplomat in Residence at my undergrad was always praising Fletcher in terms of the connections to diplomacy world. I wouldn't worry terribly about the proximity to the UN (though it does clearly have perks), as I have little doubt you could make internship connections through Fletcher

In short, I think both programs are well-suited to prepare you for a diplomatic job and relatively comparable. With that in mind, I would go to the option that is funded over the one that is not. SIPA would be a considerable expense with no funding for what I think would ultimately be a marginal difference.

JRS218 - thanks for your thoughts.  They seem to be in line with the advice I’m getting.  It would just be incredibly tough to turn down an Ivy League. If I am able to get into the London school of economics, that program may win over both since it’s only one year.  

Thanks much for the help 

@Kelly1015

I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I'll reiterate: I would dissuade from being overly attracted to "Ivy League" status. While it undoubtedly carries some extra distinction, I truly do not believe that distinction to be worth the price tag. It is entirely possible for you to be competitive in the job market based on what you actually do in graduate school rather than where you do it.

This is particularly true in your case where your second option is a wildly well-regarded school that has a distinct presence in the diplomatic community. Going to SIPA with exactly zero financial aid is going to burden you with a potentially crippling debt just as you're looking to start a career, with potentially minimal benefit. I understand the appeal of saying you went to an Ivy League program, but I truly do not believe it is worth the debt in your situation where you have such a reputable school willing to fund you.

JRS218 and M. Awinsong -- thanks much for your advice.  I think you made some great points and more and more Fletcher seems like a great fit.  I plan to visit each campus before making a final decision but you've gotten me thinking about the right things.  Thanks.