Waitlisted for Funding

So I just got an acceptance into Syracuse's English MA, but I am currently "on a short waitlist" for funding. According to their website, they admit 4 students into the MA program every year. I'm trying to decide what the odds are that I will get off the waitlist? In the email, they specified that there is no ranking (as of yet). I'm stressed because I have a fully funded offer at University of Alabama, but I feel a little torn about it. I love the South, so location is great. I really, really like my POI, he is super kind and interested in my work and communicative. Funding is pretty good, but teaching load is heavy. The classes I would be teaching is Composition for the UA freshman, which sounds kind of like a nightmare. The other problem: while I love my POI and he and I have very similar interest, he's the only Victorianist at the program. There are three other 19th century faculty who I like and could work with, but our interests don't align perfectly. But the program seems really friendly, all the faculty and staff have been super helpful and went out of their way to work with me. I would be really happy there. However, Syracuse is a more prestigious program, and there are a LOT more faculty in my area of interests. They also have a lot of faculty interested in popular culture, which is my secondary focus and I thought was kind of unusual. Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry too much about Syracuse and just see about funding when I hear, but since the decision deadline is so close (only a month away!!), I feel like I want to know soon so I can think about things and weigh my options for a while. Anyone have thoughts on what I should do? Should I reach out to Syracuse and let them know I have another offer and would like to know soon so I can compare options?

Hey, I was accepted to Syracuse for the rhet comp MA in mid February, and was told I'm #2 on the waitlist for funding (now I'm wondering if that ranking was arbitrary?)  It's my top choice but I did tell them I'm considering another offer. Even after I sort of politely pushed for more info on the funding situation, she kindly told me that there's basically nothing she or I can do until they find out if other people accept or decline their offers. She did seem genuinely appreciative of my interest though, so there's that. As far as how many students get in every year, I thought that number 4 applied to PHD applicants. I'm not sure if the MA is its own pool or what.

I think reaching out and letting her know you're considering another offer is a fine idea, though you'll probably get the same kind of answer of "we can't make this go faster so you just have to wait." So, while this might not have been the most helpful, here's to grey-area waitlist solidarity.

14 hours ago, ClassyBrat420 said:

Hey, I was accepted to Syracuse for the rhet comp MA in mid February, and was told I'm #2 on the waitlist for funding (now I'm wondering if that ranking was arbitrary?)  It's my top choice but I did tell them I'm considering another offer. Even after I sort of politely pushed for more info on the funding situation, she kindly told me that there's basically nothing she or I can do until they find out if other people accept or decline their offers. She did seem genuinely appreciative of my interest though, so there's that. As far as how many students get in every year, I thought that number 4 applied to PHD applicants. I'm not sure if the MA is its own pool or what.

I think reaching out and letting her know you're considering another offer is a fine idea, though you'll probably get the same kind of answer of "we can't make this go faster so you just have to wait." So, while this might not have been the most helpful, here's to grey-area waitlist solidarity.

I should specify--I'm in the literature program, not rhet/comp, so I'm not sure how your waitlist works, it might be totally separate? So the ranking might be legit, and your MA cohort might have a different number than 4.

Ugh waitlist is quite possibly the worst place to be--I just want to know!

Hey! 

I don't know if this will help a ton, but I was wait listed for funding at Syracuse for the Lit PhD. In the original email/letter (which I'm assuming you received as well), they didn't indicate rank (for me) - just said it was a wait list of about 10 people (I'm unsure if it was both PhDs and MAs or just PhDs) - and said that movement tended to happen in late March/early April. 

My past application cycles & general anecdata support that statement. It's quite possible for people to make decisions now (I'm doing that and there are definitely other people out there like me!) Some, however, (and sometimes most, depending on the year) hold close to that April 15th deadline. Accordingly, I'm not sure @ClassyBrat420, that there's any way to guess if/when you'll get off. I do wish I had a better response and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Obviously, funding is hugely important and you will need to know those details prior to committing. However, I think you @Cassifrassidy can do (and already have done?) some evaluation of the two programs. It sounds like Syracuse would be a great option for you - have you talked via email with current students or faculty there? Or scheduled a visit? If not, can you?

I'm not sure at all what Syracuse's policy is for that, but they obviously want you (since you're in) and they might be amenable to helping you learn more about the program as you wait for funding, especially since you have another good offer. 

If I were in your position, I might email an adviser or letter writer to ask - they will likely have some insight on if/how to communicate with Syracuse and how to evaluate these programs without having all the data. I'd also do as much as possible to learn about the program and the area itself in the meantime so that (1) I could decide if I wanted to wait and (2) if I did wait and funding came in at the 11th hour, I could plug it into the rest of the equation.

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

23 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey! 

I don't know if this will help a ton, but I was wait listed for funding at Syracuse for the Lit PhD. In the original email/letter (which I'm assuming you received as well), they didn't indicate rank (for me) - just said it was a wait list of about 10 people (I'm unsure if it was both PhDs and MAs or just PhDs) - and said that movement tended to happen in late March/early April. 

My past application cycles & general anecdata support that statement. It's quite possible for people to make decisions now (I'm doing that and there are definitely other people out there like me!) Some, however, (and sometimes most, depending on the year) hold close to that April 15th deadline. Accordingly, I'm not sure @ClassyBrat420, that there's any way to guess if/when you'll get off. I do wish I had a better response and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Obviously, funding is hugely important and you will need to know those details prior to committing. However, I think you @Cassifrassidy can do (and already have done?) some evaluation of the two programs. It sounds like Syracuse would be a great option for you - have you talked via email with current students or faculty there? Or scheduled a visit? If not, can you?

I'm not sure at all what Syracuse's policy is for that, but they obviously want you (since you're in) and they might be amenable to helping you learn more about the program as you wait for funding, especially since you have another good offer. 

If I were in your position, I might email an adviser or letter writer to ask - they will likely have some insight on if/how to communicate with Syracuse and how to evaluate these programs without having all the data. I'd also do as much as possible to learn about the program and the area itself in the meantime so that (1) I could decide if I wanted to wait and (2) if I did wait and funding came in at the 11th hour, I could plug it into the rest of the equation.

Thanks for the response!! That is very helpful. I emailed the DGS who initially emailed me and essentially let them know that I wouldn't accept an offer without funding, I have another funded option, and asked if I could visit in case I do get funded super close to the deadline (I said it in a polite way though lol). So we'll see what they say. If you don't mind me asking, did you get off the waitlist? Or are you planning on accepting another offer? Just curious tbh.

You are welcome! I'm glad it helped. That's a good approach to it - I hope the DGS gets back soon and with good news! 

And not at all! I declined Syracuse yesterday (while remaining on the funding wait list) but not because of the funding situation. It's a great program, but I do have another program that is a better fit across the board. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

I don't know if it helps at all but I just declined the same Syracuse offer (accepted but waitlisted for funding in literature MA) so with any luck hopefully that means you/other people who are actually considering going are closer to getting funding? I hope you get good news soon!

I've visited Syracuse a few times for extracurricular events during my undergrad and it's a great campus although it's suuuper cold and windy (that's coming from someone born & raised in CT, lol) so if you're used to southern weather that might be a bit hard to deal with at first, definitely buy a fluffy parka or three if you end up there! My current roommate is actually going to the University of Alabama for her master's in athletic training and she visited last week and loved the campus

On 3/16/2018 at 4:53 PM, nooorebecca said:

I don't know if it helps at all but I just declined the same Syracuse offer (accepted but waitlisted for funding in literature MA) so with any luck hopefully that means you/other people who are actually considering going are closer to getting funding? I hope you get good news soon!

I've visited Syracuse a few times for extracurricular events during my undergrad and it's a great campus although it's suuuper cold and windy (that's coming from someone born & raised in CT, lol) so if you're used to southern weather that might be a bit hard to deal with at first, definitely buy a fluffy parka or three if you end up there! My current roommate is actually going to the University of Alabama for her master's in athletic training and she visited last week and loved the campus

Thanks for keeping us in the know!

Yikes. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the cold at all. My hometown gets less than a foot of snow a year, so the idea of moving somewhere that gets TEN FEET annually kinda makes me wanna die lol.

Omg really?? That's awesome! Even if Syracuse gives me funding, I'm definitely leaning towards UA, so maybe we'll end up meeting each other (although it's a huge campus, so maybe not haha).

On 3/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

You are welcome! I'm glad it helped. That's a good approach to it - I hope the DGS gets back soon and with good news! 

And not at all! I declined Syracuse yesterday (while remaining on the funding wait list) but not because of the funding situation. It's a great program, but I do have another program that is a better fit across the board. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Congrats! I'm glad you've found a great fit and made your decision. I bet you are super relieved that this whole process is finally over haha

And thanks! Any good thoughts my way are much appreciated (: