Edelweiss8

Hi guys, I am choosing between the MA/PhD program at UCSB Geography, and Master in Environmental Sciences at Yale FES (Forestry and Environmental Studies). My major is Remote Sensing and GIS, and I intend to remain in academia in the future.

The advisor at UCSB is an assistant professor who just got started, but she seems to be a rising star with amazing research outcomes. I talked to her before, and she seems really nice. UCSB has a very good reputation in remote sensing and GIS research, with awesome scenery. More than half graduated PhDs got a job in academia, as faculty or postdocs.

The advisor at Yale is famous and successful. She got elected as US Academy of Science. What she does really attracts me. However, 12 to 16 courses have to be finished, leaving limited time for research. So the first year at Yale could be tough, since I have to fit in, take many courses, and struggle for research time in order to be competitive when applying for PhD. The employment (and further studies) data do seem optimistic, though.

Thanks for sharing your advice.

Hi!

UCSB is pretty cool in environmental and related subjects. Yale is, of course, Yale. It all boils down to what you're looking for.

Take a good, long, analytical look at the type of courses/research opportunities offered. Do they cover what you want to specialize in? Are the GIS courses at SB better and more varied than those at Yale? Does either offer more applied/project-based courses? Where do you have more freedom to choose? Since you are more inclined towards research than coursework, does UCSB offer more credits in exchange for research or does Yale?

Also, is that a MA+PhD program at SB? If yes and if you're sure about staying in academia and doing a PhD, that will definitely make life much easier.

Then there are the non-academic factors: weather, quality of life, expenses(has either offered you funding?) etc. 

I don't think you would go much wrong with either choice, but do consider how well you fit into the department along with prestige.

Good luck!

Dear Aradhana94,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a MA+PhD program at SB, with tuition waiver and nearly 20k TA/RA/Scholarships each year. Yale offers no financial aid, the total cost per year is estimated 60k, but affordable.

I will take a good look at the courses. Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...