Testing out of ASHA prerequisites

Hi everyone!

Over the last two years, I have been asked by so many about where to take ASHA prerequisites like biology, physics/chemistry, sociology, psychology, and statistics courses. If you are pressed for time and missing these courses, there is an alternative to enrolling in courses. Most schools will accept examination credit from CLEP and DSST exams. I personally tested out of 49 credit hours in undergrad and I can tell you that most of the exams are pretty easy to prepare for. Each exam costs $80 plus a small proctor fee. It is SO much cheaper, easier, and faster than taking a full-length course. You only need to PASS an exam, and it will not show as a grade on your transcripts. It will could toward your total credit hours though, and ASHA accepts test credits.

You have to be enrolled in a program in order for your school to accept your exam credit and indicate this on your transcripts. You can easily check on your school's policy by Googling "[School Name] CLEP". Alternatively, you could give your registrar a call to ask about it.

CLEP Exams: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology

DSST Exams: Statistics  

*** I would not recommend the biology and chemistry exams because they are very difficult. I studied for 2 months and only barely passed the biology exam. All the others are very easy and doable though! In addition, there are dozens of other DSST and CLEP exams you can use to fill your elective and gen. ed requirements in undergrad studies.

I am starting this thread for anyone who has questions about going this route. I would be happy to help you all out!

Okay, so maybe I'm insane, but I think I might try the chemistry exam. I know you said its difficult, but I am a natural test-taker and I think I can squeeze a pass out of it. My idea is to get the exam guide and watch Khan Academy videos, etc on each of the topics while taking notes, then cram my ass off.  Am I nuts? I took chemistry in high school (15 years ago!) and I remember a little bit, at least. If the questions are all multiple choice then I think I have a pretty good shot. Any other crazies like me out there?

6 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Okay, so maybe I'm insane, but I think I might try the chemistry exam. I know you said its difficult, but I am a natural test-taker and I think I can squeeze a pass out of it. My idea is to get the exam guide and watch Khan Academy videos, etc on each of the topics while taking notes, then cram my ass off.  Am I nuts? I took chemistry in high school (15 years ago!) and I remember a little bit, at least. If the questions are all multiple choice then I think I have a pretty good shot. Any other crazies like me out there?

You're not crazy! Haha! Your best resource would be the InstantCert forum - there is very specific feedback about the exam and InstantCert also has practice questions to help you out. It's a paid membership, but there is a discount code here. Here's a study guide that you can refer to: http://www.free-clep-prep.com/Chemistry-CLEP.html

Send me a message if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help!