Rahul Bajaj

Hi all, I have the following admits:-

• UT Austin (MS CS) - unfunded
  • UMD College Park (MSc CS) - unfunded
  • UWisconsin Madison (MS CS) - fully funded with fellowship for 1st year
  • ETH Zurich (MSc CS) - unfunded
  • UMass Amherst (MS CS) - unfunded
  • UWaterloo (MMath. CS with thesis) - fully funded

I am interested in ML and data mining research. Right now, I am not sure about any particular specialization. But after my masters, I am quite sure about doing a PhD. So, till now my decision is a bit more inclined towards going for guaranteed funding options available. I am not sure about going to Austin or UMD without funding.

What are your suggestions? What factors should I weigh more? Also, Could anyone please share info on how to go about securing assistance at UT Austin and UMD for masters program? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Since you're interested in pursuing a PhD after your masters UWaterloo seems appealing to me because it's funded and you'll also be creating a thesis paper (and seems like it will be more research based) during your time there which would help prepare you for a PhD program. UWisconsin is nice also because with a fellowship your 1st year you'll be able to adjust and not worry about TAing or RAing. I would also look at the research at each school and professor options. It's good to have at least 2 professors you could see yourself working with and find their research interesting so if personality doesn't mesh with one there is still another option.

There are a couple of posts on securing funding so you could search that up top they have helpful email templates etc.