Some had offers, some not on interview?

d_moe

I just recently went on the “Recruitment Weekend” at Texas Tech for the PhD program I applied for. It was obviously an interview in structure, but most of the weekend was them selling the university and program. They kept using verbiage like “if you choose to come here” or “should you choose us”, etc. which I thought strange since I hadn’t received an offer yet. 

Then, while on the cohort dinner (with current PhD students) more than two of the 9 invited on the trip had already received offers? Can someone explain what this means to me? I felt like it went really well and I feel I was quite competitive with those who already had attained offers. Any advice welcomed! 

They would not pay for your trip if they didn't think they could have a spot for you. Doesn't mean that you'll get in, but that's definitely a good sign :) 

Most schools have an Apr 15 deadline for accepted students, you should hear more from them after this date. Good luck !