SIPA/Sciences Po dual degree

max05er

Hi everyone, 

I searched if there already was a thread for the SIPA/Sciences Po dual degree but didn't find one, so I opened up a new one. I have to make a decision between spending two years at SIPA as an MPA student or entering the dual degree program at SIPA (MPA) and Sciences Po (MPP) in which I'd spend my first year in Paris and the second one at Columbia. Obviously, Columbia is the bigger name and I'd have nothing against living in NYC for a full two years. On the other hand, the latter option would save me a significant amount of money and I'd be completing the required courses during my first year anyways, so I am currently leaning toward the dual degree option.

I'd of course be interested if anyone of you has completed the dual degree or, for example, knew any dual degree students at SIPA or Sciences Po. Any information and experiences would go a long way in helping me make my decision. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to the dual degree between Sciences Po and Columbia as well and I'm also town between doing two years at SIPA or the dual degree. After visiting the school and talking to another dual degree student who was in their Columbia year, I'm leaning towards doing the dual degree. It's going to be much cheaper and you get two degrees (which i'm not sure how much that matters but it sounds cool). Additionally, you gain the network of alumni, students and faculty at both schools which I find really valuable. Hope that helps and let me know if you accept!

Hi! Glad to hear of people who have been accepted to the same program as me! I was admitted to the dual degree MPP-MPA between Sciences Po and Columbia as well and accepted the offer. I didn't apply to SIPA's MPA aside from the dual degree (I was already admitted to Sciences Po's MPP) because of Columbia's tuition fees, and also because I think a dual degree is a great opportunity in terms of network and academics (plus getting 2 degrees in only 2 years sounds nice). I'll admit that being French my choice might seem obvious (the name Sciences Po definitely matters there, especially in the public policy field) but I already went to Sciences Po for undergrad so that wasn't the most important factor for me.
@Sraz16: Is it the MPP-MPA dual degree or the MIA one ? Did you end up accepting the offer?
@max05er: Let me know of your decision!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sraz and Aurore, sorry for my late reply. After having made my decision to accept the dual degree offer I forgot to check back in here. Glad to have found some fellow dual degree students, I sent each of you a private message, maybe we can get in touch while we prepare for our studies!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys! I am really interested on the double degree. I know it seems like a simplistic question but how is the admission process from Sciences Po? Do you think they are way more selective with the applicants? Could I base my chances of being admitted on the profiles I see in gradcafe from admitted to the regular MPA/MPP from Sipa?

Edited by Evelyn Chou

Honestly, I think if you get into SIPA your chances of being admitted to Sciences Po are very high. The exception might be if your academic record is rather weak and you make up for it with relevant work experience - the latter is not really a requirement at Sciences Po, so they pay more attention to the former. The application process at Sciences Po doesn't differ from what American schools ask of you. Only submitting letters of recommendation is apparently unnecessarily complicated, so you might want to warn your referees in advance.

Hope this helps!

@max05er thank you so much for your input! I appreciated it! But just to make the records straight,  do you believe is there any changes on priorities if you apply to the double degree or solely to Sipa? Is the process more competitive inside Sciences Po? Because they do not seem to state how many students enter each year for the double degree or if the decision is mostly made by Sipa.

Sorry for so many questions, is just that I can not find much on their pages and is hard to find people who have been accepted...

3 hours ago, Ch_E 13 said:

@max05er thank you so much for your input! I appreciated it! But just to make the records straight,  do you believe is there any changes on priorities if you apply to the double degree or solely to Sipa? Is the process more competitive inside Sciences Po? Because they do not seem to state how many students enter each year for the double degree or if the decision is mostly made by Sipa.

Sorry for so many questions, is just that I can not find much on their pages and is hard to find people who have been accepted...

Contact SIPA's admissions office and they will put you in touch with someone who's done the double degree. They can also explain the process to you.

• 3 months later...