Virginia Tech Statistics Program

Does anyone have any opinions about the statistics program at Virginia Tech? I'm worried about the seemingly low passing rate on the qualifying exam at the PhD level. Is it a weed out program? Is it a program that has secured funding? Any thoughts on the program would be helpful!

From what I've heard from professors/other students, it is a weed out program. They don't technically consider you a PhD student until you pass your qualifying exams, so you're on the same level as all of the other masters students. They do give you a couple chances (can't remember if it's 2 or 3) to pass the qualifying exam, because honestly, a lot of people don't pass it the first time. They do have secured funding. Take all this info with a grain of salt though, because this is just what I've heard from other people. Hope this helps!

From what I've heard, it's the same as passing as if you're going on to complete your PhD, since you're considered a masters student until you pass those quals. Then, once you pass the quals, you can leave with your masters or continue with the PhD program.