Aerospace EGR PhD

trevorhbu

I got an awesome offer from Georgia Tech aerospace. My BS is in ECE and I want to study autonomous controls for my PhD. I am interested in the aerospace studies, and I have worked in the aerospace industry for a few internships.

My questions is, if I get a PhD in Aerospace, specializing in ECE controls, will it limit me to only Aerospace jobs?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Help me please!

Where do students in the program usually go? A large portion of graduate schools is building your professional network. Although it's possible to do something radically different than those before you, the odds are you'll get a job through somebody you meet at school. The big question is, why would you want to apply to an aerospace program, take aerospace specific classes, meet people with connections to the aerospace industry... but not follow that path yourself?

In general, the degree is probably similar to many EE and ME degrees, but with a little more specialization. But even control theory is wide open. You would be eligible for many engineering type positions in government and industry. You could easily be a software developer or maybe even hardware developer. In general, it won't limit you... but in practice you will have to expend extra energy to make contacts outside the field.