Religion PhD - Results Page

sarah4153

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting to hear from BU and UVA. If I have not heard anything at this point, does this mean I am likely rejected at these schools? Does anyone know?

I don't really know anything about BU's process, but I've got to think not having heard from UVA is not good news. I think someone posted that they had received an acceptance to UVA by phone last month. Maybe the rest of us are on a waiting list, but I expect they're just taking their time kicking us to the curb. But who knows? I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Stud.,

I don't think it is a bad opportunity, considering how many rejections are floating out there, but I question your math...

Did you get 50% funding or 50% tuition. I suspect it is only 50% of tuition, which means your living costs will still be 100% on you. Also, I think you are off on your costs. Next year CGU tuition is $16,849 per semester. So at a minimum I see you having to pay that per year or ~$33,000 for the first two years then ~$1500 for the next three. So it's more like $40,000 for a PhD education with 1/2 funding plus living expenses.

That said, I still haven't heard from Claremont. When I called on Tuesday they told me the same as you, this week was the final deadline for decisions because next week is thier spring break. Well it is now Friday and no news. What gives?

Stud.,

Did you get 50% funding or 50% tuition. I suspect it is only 50% of tuition, which means your living costs will still be 100% on you. Also, I think you are off on your costs. Next year CGU tuition is $16,849 per semester. So at a minimum I see you having to pay that per year or ~$33,000 for the first two years then ~$1500 for the next three. So it's more like $40,000 for a PhD education with 1/2 funding plus living expenses.

That said, I still haven't heard from Claremont. When I called on Tuesday they told me the same as you, this week was the final deadline for decisions because next week is thier spring break. Well it is now Friday and no news. What gives?

Yes, I did underestimate the cost a bit and I probably shouldn't be doing that. What I did was factor out the cost of rent since that is essentially covered by other means.

I'm talking to a few other CGU students and grads. Pretty much everyone came in with a 50% fellowship and they're telling me it's standard.

If the other attitudes are correct, I don't know why they're doing it. I guess they're as desperate and gullible as me.

Regarding your issue, call them today. They have to be done with decisions by now. If they won't have decisions until after spring break then they should let you know. I'm almost certain they must be done by now. If you don't get an email today then, unfortunately, it's probably the worst. Still, if you're looking for full funding it sounds like CGU is not the place.

Stud. Theology,

Meshugah is just the Jewish word for crazy. As in, what you're considering is a little bonkers.

My point is basically that, even if you're not going into massive debt, there's no reason AT ALL to go into debt for grad school. All PhD programs worth their salt *at least* cover tuition. You're basically doing a PhD on the amount of funding that the average master's student gets. I just have trouble seeing why someone wouldn't want to wait a year and get proper funding as opposed to taking one of the worst deals out there. What's so pressing?

I'm not sure I see how my original comments weren't on the mark. I think, based on your description of your interests and the general puzzlement that they elicit from seasoned scholars in the field, something ain't right. I didn't mean to be patronizing with the Aquinas-Calvin-Barth comment, I was just kidding around. But my sense is that your interests sound, to someone in religious studies, like they belong in an apologetics program, and that sort of thing is only of interest in evangelical circles.

You might not want to take the time to make the connection between analytic philosophy and systematics clearer on this board, sure, but it does seem like your interests aren't clear and/or resonating with faculty members. I'm just trying to suggest that what you're proposing as I understand it is not just a little unorthodox to people in religious studies. It's hard to see what it would even mean.

>>Another reason I suspect that your response it a wee bit overblown is that you didn

Wgrad and rafnow - I think that you should call UVA. I heard from them a month ago.

tiredofrejection - I looked up BC just a second ago -- very interesting. I, personally, am not interested in studying Gustafson and the Niebuhrs - but my husband most certainly is. I think we're happy about where we'll most likely end up - but I'm glad you mentioned the school.

About the Harvard MTS Program - I can't find out how to see my status! WTF? If anyone has advice regarding how to access your admissions status, please let me know.

Wgrad and rafnow - I think that you should call UVA. I heard from them a month ago.

I wouldn't bother calling them. I e-mailed Sarah Adams a few days ago, and she told me the following:

...the initial acceptances and waitlist offers have been made for the MA and PhD program and mailed out. However, the faculty have not finalized all of their decisions so there are still a few more acceptances to be made and mailed out. This should happen in the next couple of weeks so that is the timeframe in which you can expect an acceptance or decline notification. My apologies for not having more information at this time.

I wouldn't bother calling them. I e-mailed Sarah Adams a few days ago, and she told me the following:

Wow...I'm sure you're right Svartsven, but that seems so....strange. Why would they accept some/waitlist some /decline some...then wait a month and accept/decline more? Is this usually how it works? Seems kind of screwed up. For all those who haven't heard back yet, though, perhaps no news = good news? :)

That doesn't make any sense about UVA unless they messed something up.

I emailed them last month and Sarah told me that I was not on the list. So are they saying I might still make the list? Maybe it was just a particular area that's still deciding.

Foureyes,

For Harvards MTS results go to the main page after you login and scroll to the bottom, there is a link you can click. I, for one, shall not be attending HDS, unfortunatly.

Thanks Leagus - found it now! I'm sorry to hear about your HDS news, though. :cry: Maybe next year?

I have been reading this board for quite some time, and would like to help clarify things for Stud.Theol. to help him make his decision.

I went to Claremont for my M.A. with a full scholarship. Claremont is a wonderful learning environment with an incredible faculty, and I would highly recommend the school for its academics. However, in the years that I was there, it became apparent how it differs from its public counterparts. Claremont is a private school, and as such it does not have an undergraduate base upon which to draw funds. They usually offer one full ride per year per specialization (one in New Testament, one in Hebrew Bible, one in Phil. of Religion, etc.) The 50% rate is usually the case, as they don't have any teaching assistanceships to dole out. It is possible to do it, and there are plenty of opporitunities to work of any debt that you may have by working in the surrounding community. Since you may be living rent free (in and area that 2 bedroom apartments are 1200.00 a month on average, I would recommend this school to you, regardless of what others might say.

As a side note, I also was acdepted to Claremont's Ph.D program (got an e-mail today), and am waiting on a couple of other shools before making my final decision. However, if I do decide on Claremont, I look forward to seeing you there.

tiredofrejection - I looked up BC just a second ago -- very interesting. I, personally, am not interested in studying Gustafson and the Niebuhrs - but my husband most certainly is. I think we're happy about where we'll most likely end up - but I'm glad you mentioned the school.

About the Harvard MTS Program - I can't find out how to see my status! WTF? If anyone has advice regarding how to access your admissions status, please let me know.

Foureyes. If you husband is looking at Harvard like you and he might be interested scholars at BC, then you should know that they are both part of the Boston Theological Institute (BTI) along with BU, Weston Jesuit School of Theology and some others in the area. The BTI is an association of schools in Boston that can cross register and share libraries so you can take classes amongst all of those faculties - a nice benefit.

For others who are interested in such opportunities, I believe there are similar arangements amongst the schools in DC and Chicago. Though I am not as familiar with those.

Stud. Theol.

I am awating word (as is everyone one else it seems) from UNC-Chapel Hill, and UVA. They both have better funding, although Claremont has someone that I have truly enjoyed working with, so it will be a hard choice if I do get into them.

I heard from Claremont finally. 50% tuition for me as well, though I did get a second line about how it "might go up," depending on who accepts. Did everyone else get that line too?

Despite what the naysayers say, it is a good opportunity and I am seriously considering it. I still have a few other options out there, but hopefully those will fall in line soon.

Foureyes. If you husband is looking at Harvard like you and he might be interested scholars at BC, then you should know that they are both part of the Boston Theological Institute (BTI) along with BU, Weston Jesuit School of Theology and some others in the area. The BTI is an association of schools in Boston that can cross register and share libraries so you can take classes amongst all of those faculties - a nice benefit.

For others who are interested in such opportunities, I believe there are similar arangements amongst the schools in DC and Chicago. Though I am not as familiar with those.

Hey folks. I'm on the east coast and am waiting to hear from U. Chicago. To anyone who has heard from Chicago, do you mind giving your location? I'm wondering how long the wait will be.