Religion PhD - Results Page

sarah4153

I did exactly this in my personal statement. I basically provided the context of why I chose to pursue Jewish Studies, and what led me to philology, what languages I've taken, et cetera. I was not afraid that my interest would seem random, as it is a logical progression of narrowing interest from Religion --> Jewish Studies --> Hebrew Bible --> Semitic Philology. Semitic Philology is typically an emphasis in the broader field of Hebrew Bible, so they are connected in many ways. It makes sense to me, and it was a decent personal statement to me (maybe not to the ad coms), but I showed it to loads of people for constructive criticism, including my friend who is getting her PhD in linguistics.

Regardless, I'm discussing my application with HDS this week, so I don't make the same mistakes that I did before (whatever they happen to be) when I reapply to programs this fall. I also am thinking of other alternatives to academia, like archaeology digs, et cetera. We'll see what happens.

:( I'm sorry, man. It's a really idiosyncratic process, I guess. Let us know how the meeting with HDS goes.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what now?

What do we do between now and the start of school? I absolutely can't wait to tell the people at work that I'm leaving the office to do my ph.d. I'm going to tell people that I'm studying dance.

"Working here for the last ten years has been wonderful. I would be quite content to stay here if the urge to dance didn't gnaw at my soul like a starving rat in a burlap sack. Seeing you fine people every day has been a true joy but what I really want to do is dance!"

Other than fantasizing about quiting, what should I do?

So what now?

What do we do between now and the start of school? I absolutely can't wait to tell the people at work that I'm leaving the office to do my ph.d. I'm going to tell people that I'm studying dance.

"Working here for the last ten years has been wonderful. I would be quite content to stay here if the urge to dance didn't gnaw at my soul like a starving rat in a burlap sack. Seeing you fine people every day has been a true joy but what I really want to do is dance!"

Other than fantasizing about quiting, what should I do?

Stud.,

Did I miss a post? I didn't realize you had decided. Congrats. It is Claremont then?

Me personally, I am still weighing the whole "pay for school" - "not worth it to pay for school" debate. And then on top, I have two partially funded options to decide between. Man the bay area is expensive. I may end up at Claremont just to avoid having to choose between food and gas each week.

Yes, I intend to pull the trigger... bite the bullet... those are both rather ballistic expressions. Anyway, I'm saying yes to Claremont. Claremont has always been my top choice, even if I had gotten into a program that some would consider more distinguished (which I haven't so far) I had intended on going to Claremont.

It seems that, in talking to a few others already in the program, taking the 50% fellowship is standard. I'm looking at other funding options (my father has been very generous) but my wife insists that this is what I've wanted and so it's what we're doing.

You only live once. If I don't make it in the academy or can't make enough to live I can go back to my previous work. At least I'll know I tried.

Question: I was waitlisted at a school that I would very much like to attend. The graduate program director in the Department, in an email, told me the following: "In any case, I can say that you are at the top of the list . . . for admission and so have a realistic chance of being admitted. You can be sure that once I see the spot open for you, I will contact you immediately." That was on March 4th. Is it in my best interest to check back in, or should I wait?

Tingbaring - have you contacted Chicago? I was under the impression that all letters had been sent; including those that are waitlisted. I would contact the Dean of Students - what if they accepted you and your envelope got lost?! My fingers are crossed that you receive an acceptance soon!

Where are you wait-listed? While I didn't get in anywhere (I still haven't heard from Chicago), I'm waitlisted at Yale and Vanderbilt. From what I've gathered, as soon as they know about acceptances or rejections, you will know. If this is the case, you probably won't gather any new information by contacting them; that said, it might be nice to touch base and let them know you are still interested. For me, it's back to the waiting game...

I am waitlisted at Loyola and still waiting to hear from Marquette and Dayton. That's great that you are the #1 person on the Chicago waitlist! You'd think they would have told you that, or something! :shock:

Tingbaring - that is fantastic news! Which program are you interested in? I'm sure you've mentioned it in earlier posts but my brain has turned to mush since I was waitlisted and then pretty much rejected. My fingers are crossed!

I am waitlisted at Loyola and still waiting to hear from Marquette and Dayton. :shock:

Be aware that if you get a spot, you probabaly will not get any money with it. Loyola tends to admit 7 or 8 but only fund 4 or 5. I got into Loyola two years ago, but was waitlisted for funding. I turned it down then so my wife could get her masters at her dream school.

Good luck, nonetheless!!!

My update...

I met with HDS admissions Thursday, concerning my application.

What I was told was that there was a 10% increase in applications this year, and that most of the applicants are "self-selecting", which apparently means that they have the credentials to go pretty much anywhere, but all choose to apply to Harvard, therefore, even though they have a 50% admissions rate, it is still a competitive applicant pool. In regards to my specific application, I was told that my grades were "excellent" and it is "clear that you would thrive at Harvard", but that to make my application stronger, I should submit GRE scores and a writing sample ("to illustrate the work you could produce at HDS"). Honestly, GRE scores and the writing sample were listed as "optional"...so it kind of sucks that my application was "solid" except for the optional parts of the application. The reason I didn't submit what was "optional" the first time was that I was simply too busy taking graduate classes and teaching two undergraduate classes to revise a writing sample or study for the GRE. But, now that I'm rejected from everywhere and have nothing but time, I won't have that excuse the second time around.

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking it is to hear: "yes, you're qualified, but we just didn't choose you."

Well take heart in the fact that they told you you're good enough. I mean, that's huge. Imagine how you'd feel if they said you weren't good enough. It's happened to me plenty of times. I've never at any point had anyone tell me I was good enough. Everyone insists that I can't, that I won't, and that I shouldn't. My wife says she believes in me but all she has going for her is the fact that she loves me.

If someone told you you were qualified and that you'll thrive, take that a clear confimation of your ability (nothing outside of an accptance could be clearer) and just send your application in next year.

It's heartbreaking, but what can you do? If it were you then there'd be some other HDS quality person wondering whether he or she has what it takes. They only have so many slots so, while they tell everyone this, some qualified people just have to be left out.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28679

This is an article about the new University of Chicago president, Robert Zimmer. The 2nd paragraph and the last section deal with religion - Zimmer has banned religious references from all university events (including at Rockefeller Chapel). I realize the US is headed down this path (in 20 years we'll be like Europe), but I still think it's ridiculous. You can't make religious references in chapel?

I wonder what the Divinity School faculty thinks about this? I wonder if there'll continue to be a Divinity School. I mean, giving this guy's disposition, he can't be too supportive of it.

What do you all think?

I don't think his decision is meant to impact the Divinity School (directly) one way or another though I suppose potentially it could. I guess it depends on the extent of the ban but if it only goes into effect concerning things like graduation and convocation where the entire student/senior body is coming together, I don't have a problem with the ruling assuming thats the aim as long as it doesn't turn the study of religion into some sort of taboo (I don't think thats going to happen). I assume, and hope, things like Disciples Divinity House are still allowed affiliation with the campus without threat. It's unfortunate that some people have been "demoted" or even felt they needed to get out. Mr. Zimmer's decision seems to be in the spirit of the intellectual climate at U of C and the Divinity School where no particular creed is given precedence. I suppose the outright banning of all religious references isn't the most satisfying and a bit extreme but it is an understandable position nonetheless.

From what I have read and what I have heard on campus, Mr. Zimmer is more interested in the sciences and the $ that they can bring into the school than in the other divisions within the school. The banning of "amen" at the end of prayers in the chapel is outrageous and I'm not even religious. However, those that are religious will continue to say "amen" out of habit - I wonder how Zimmer will respond?

religiousphilosopher said:
Hey everyone,

I am finishing up my B.A. in philosophy, and I've applied to Chicago, Harvard, and Yale Divinity schools to study philosophy of religion. I was accepted into all three. I'm leaning in the direction of Chicago and Harvard, but I would also like some advice. Which of these schools is most respected? Which one will give me the best experience and education? I will in a couple years be applying to a PhD program either at a religion department somewhere, including most likely the Chicago Div PhD or the Harvard Div ThD-- Yale Div doesn't offer a doctorate. I'd appreciate any advice!

My $.02 is that if you can't go to Yale for a Ph.D. (although you should check out the Religious Studies dept before you say that for sure!) you should go to Yale - only b/c it won't be an option for a Ph.D. Otherwise...well, I think debt and quality of life are great ways to examine which you'd prefer. have you visited each place? Visiting often will make the decision for you. Also, talk to other grad students that are there.

Nothing guarantees admittance into a Ph.D. program, even if you're "perfect," as so many people on this board will tell you!

I ended up at Harvard for my MTS, although I had also been admitted to Yale Div school, UofC Div school, and Brandeis. We lived in Chicago before the masters, I wanted to be at Yale (with John Collins), but we still ended up at Harvard - only b/c my husband got offered a promotion in his current company if we moved to Boston. I don't regret it (although some schools tend to shy away from Harvard people) and loved working with Jon Levenson, Bernard Septimus, and Ellen Aitken (in early Christianity - she's now at McGill, which is where I'm headed this fall for my Ph.D.!) although I definitely missed the opportunity to work with Collins at Yale.

BTW, I'm wait-listed at NYU and finally got a negative from UofT's department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations. I also accepted the funding at McGill, so it looks like we're headed even further up north (much to my son's chagrin!).

Your son gets chagrined? That's impressive. I can't even get my son to wipe his face.

Well, I can't get him to wipe his face, either, lol :D, but he certainly was chagrined when we told him we'd probably be moving up to Montreal. His lovely 6-year old question was "Is it warmer there than here?" Here=Chicago. And the answer was a resounding "No, sorry." Oy, he was not happy. My daughter (8yo) is stressed about learning French. And my 22 month old doesn't care, as long as Elmo can be found. And Maman.

My $.02 is that if you can't go to Yale for a Ph.D. (although you should check out the Religious Studies dept before you say that for sure!) you should go to Yale - only b/c it won't be an option for a Ph.D. Otherwise...well, I think debt and quality of life are great ways to examine which you'd prefer. have you visited each place? Visiting often will make the decision for you. Also, talk to other grad students that are there.

Yale's Ph.D. is through the department of religious studies.

I'm visiting both in a couple of weeks. I'm currently leaning towards Harvard, though. But I think you're right that the visit will likely be the deciding factor. Also, just out of curiosity, why does Emory shy away from Harvard MTS grads?

[quote="religiousphilosopher"}

Yale's Ph.D. is through the department of religious studies.

I'm visiting both in a couple of weeks. I'm currently leaning towards Harvard, though. But I think you're right that the visit will likely be the deciding factor. Also, just out of curiosity, why does Emory shy away from Harvard MTS grads?