Religion PhD - Results Page

sarah4153

Philmajor,

Revolage gave some good advice. I did, for the most part, many of the things he mentioned. I, however, took 2 years off because I took on a second MA in the mean time. I think that having an MA in both philosophy and theology really helped me get into Claremont because 1) I have proposed to do work that integrates analytic philosophy and Christian systematic theology and 2) Claremont has a pretty good niche there. So if there is any further academic work you can do that will bolster your portfolio at your target schools then you can consider that as well.

I also contacted a lot of people; I mean a lot. I emailed at least one person at every school I was at least marginally interested in. I put together a 2 paragraph statement of my interests--try to make it really specific and concise. Show them that you know your topic but don't get verbose--and asked people who looked like they might work in that area whether they would supervise such a topic (or set of topics). If you are professional and intelligent (and I assume you are at this point) then there's almost nothing bad that can come of these emails. In the worst case you get ignored... no big deal. In the second worse case they say that they're not so interested in that topic but they'll probably suggest scholars at other places who would be a good match. That worked very well for me because I learned a lot about who was where and what they were doing.

In other cases they are interested in your work and will want to talk about it. This also helped tremendously because I was able to rework my 2 paragraph statement. They gave me things to talk about and warned me where they thought my statement was too narrowly focused or simply didn't present well. So when I contacted scholars later my statement was even better. In the end I was able to turn that email in a nice personal statement that had been reviewed and commented on by a number of people.

I only visited 2 schools--the only 2 schools I applied to--but I think that my approach helped me focus in on the only schools I was truly interested in. After I talked at length with people at Vanderbilt and Chicago I realized that they're really not for me even though they're great schools. I ended up getting into the only school that I thought was a perfect match and I think crafting my statement along the way and networking via email really helped.

Lastly, find recent grads. They can be just as helpful as the responsive profs. They can give real insider information and they may be able to give you a good word. I ended up meeting with a few recent grads of a number of schools and all of them said that I could do just fine at their university (which was encouraging) and added that they'd send a note of support on my behalf. This really opened doors too.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just add that I agree with Stud Theol. on the benefits of two M.A.'s, having gotten two in the same areas as he did. Again, it' s hard enough to get one graduate degree, never mind trying to add two more, but I do think it makes one more attractive when you want to do interdisciplinary work. I attended a panel on getting a PhD a few years ago, and one of the strong themes was the increasing importance of being able to merge disciplines, and bringing the insights of one to bear upon the other in new, innovative ways.

Philmajor: any word from Chicago?

I just checked my mail and nothing. Not just from the Univ. of Chicago, I mean there was no mail at all (and the mailman has already made their rounds). Seeing an empty mailbox when I've been amped up all night waiting for this kinda hurts, but it's also kinda funny. I'm sure I had a broke look on my face when I opened the mailbox! :)

Of course, our expectation is based upon the word of an alleged "insider", so I'm not sure if that's reliable or not. Should I email the Dean of Students and just ask?

Philmajor: any word from Chicago?

I just checked my mail and nothing. Not just from the Univ. of Chicago, I mean there was no mail at all (and the mailman has already made their rounds). Seeing an empty mailbox when I've been amped up all night waiting for this kinda hurts, but it's also kinda funny. I'm sure I had a broke look on my face when I opened the mailbox! :)

Of course, our expectation is based upon the word of an alleged "insider", so I'm not sure if that's reliable or not. Should I email the Dean of Students and just ask?

If you are anxious, it might be worth asking. I live in the Quad-Cities (2-3 hours from Chicago). I will let you know if I hear anything when I check the mail later today.

Mail has not arrived yet - I would contact the Dean of Students or the Grad Secretary and ask when the letters were mailed. There isn't any need to give your name; just call and ask. I would but I'm off to class for the rest of the afternoon.

Hi,

I just posted my results for my application to the Divinity School at U of C. Doesn't matter anyway, I got into my dream school and already accepted their offer. I received notice of the decision by email today after I sent an inquiry, they replied within a few hours with the rejection.

Good luck to everyone!

Religionstudent,

Sorry you received bad news for Chicago. At least you got into your dream school - which school is that? Could you fill us in on some details. Such as which program specifically were you applying for; who were you hoping would be your advisor; are you an internal or external candidate?

Hi all!

I'm new, having just found this forum. I've also applied to Religious Studies programs for the Fall of 2008. If anyone is interested, I just called UCSB, and they're getting their information out today and tomorrow.

Like most others, I haven't heard a word from Chicago. (Then again, I'm not in the Chicago area, so who knows how long it will take before I hear via postal service.)

Hope this helps!

Somebody posted on the results page that a lot of people have said "no" to Harvard and added that it could be because the Committee for the Study of Religion is in a faculty transition phase.What exactly does that mean?I am debating whether to go to Harvard or Emory and it is not an easy decision at all.Can someone clarify things.Thanks.

Somebody posted on the results page that a lot of people have said "no" to Harvard and added that it could be because the Committee for the Study of Religion is in a faculty transition phase.What exactly does that mean?I am debating whether to go to Harvard or Emory and it is not an easy decision at all.Can someone clarify things.Thanks.

This was me. I currently go to well-established Religious Studies program at a public university, so what I've heard about Harvard has come from professors here in the Rel. Studies program. From what they say, Harvard is currently undergoing a transitional period - i.e., there's a lot of faculty turnover, and they're trying to make their program better by attracting new faculty, etc. Of course, the good part about this is that Harvard may get a lot of fresh, new scholars. The bad part is, obviously, it could be a tumultuous and unstable place for a while. I know that this applies to my field in particular (philosophy of religion / ethics / culture) -- I don't know if this is the case with any other subfield. My husband, for example, has also applied to Rel. Studies programs, but didn't even bother applying to Harvard because there's no one there for him right now (he's in ethics.). He doesn't want to go to a place where he always has to work independently (i.e., he wouldn't have an advisor that knew his subfield very well.)

That said, if Harvard has accepted you, they must think you're an excellent fit, meaning that they probably have the resources to accommodate whatever you're interested in (including faculty members.) I didn't mean to scare you here! I say just go to the place you feel most comfortable at - and I mean, not only with regard to the type of scholarship that is produced - but also the emotional support that the institution can offer. It's such a hard decision! Good luck!

From Teresa Hord Owens, the Dean of Students at University of Chicago Divinity School:

"The bulk of decision letters were mailed yesterday, and the remainder sent out today."

I wonder why the letters were sent out in 2 batches. Rejections first which would be the bulk of the mail and the acceptances today? Anyone think this is a possibility?

Philmajor: I hope so - that would bode well for me.

As for Harvard: when I went to visit them and met with a prof there in the Study of Religon program, he said similar things about Harvard. Basically, his point was that they have lost a key number of scholars (including in philosophy of religion), so whoever was accepted there would have to be very "attentive" and focused. By this he meant that they would have to piecemeal their program together since there was no set structure in place. However - as already mentioned - he did say they anticipated making a number of new hires in the next year or two.

Chicago Update: no response to my email yet. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow after all.

Revolage, UChicago explicits states that decisions will not be forthcoming from e-mail. At a meeting held on how to submit applications to the PhD program we were told not to e-mail for decisions because the e-mail would be ignored. Chicago only notifies via postal mail. The person who received an answer must have caught someone in a really good mood. I think tomorrow will be the day; of course I've been thinking that since Monday :?

I really had hoped that applicants that got accepted last year or the previous year would have come on to share their knowledge!

Philmajor,

First-year students are too busy for us lowly applicants!

Thanks for the info about the prohibition on email notifications. I requested my status last year and got it via email, and since someone else had a simliar experience today, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You would think that since it's such a strong policy, they'd place it on the website or something, but que sera sera.

Oh well, 16 more hours won't hurt!

PS - Philmajor, I sent you a PM via this forum.

Don't know if anyone else here applied to the program, but I thought I'd let y'all know that I have accepted an offer to work under Scott Bartchy in UCLA's Department of History. The specialty is technically called "History of Religions," but I will be concentrating on Christian origins and New Testament.

I talked to Bartchy over the phone on February 1st, when he was down to the final two people for one spot. I received my acceptance letter from the Graduate Division by email on Feb. 23 (it was oddly dated Feb 6th) and from the History Dept on March 2.

I'm interested in social concerns (Bartchy) and apocalypticism (Ra'anan Boustan) in early Christianity and Judaism. There's a lot of freedom to the program, so I'll be able to take classes in the NELC and Classics departments as well. It works perfectly for me and I'm stoked :)

Thursday Postal Mail Check: nothing from the University of Chicago

Thursday Email Check: nothing from the University of Chicago

I'm trying hard not to complain or be bitter, so I'll just - in the words of Wittgenstein - "pass over in silence."

Oh crap! Are you sure the mailman came? Maybe he mixed it up with your neighbors mail?

I would have figured that if you were in the lot that was mailed on Wednesday then you would have received it today? Would it take that long to get to you from Hyde Park? I had better received something today - I'm just down the street from the school.

My mail arrives sometime in the afternoon and of course I have class - I won't know anything until I get back around 4:00 :roll:

deus_absconditus, Perhaps that is good news! I'm hoping that acceptances were mailed on Wednesday and the rejections went out on Tuesday - of course I could just be living in a fantasy!

What division are you applying into? Did you have any contact with any of the professors?

I heard from University of Chicago today - I only applied to the MA Program, however.

I was admitted, but the only funding I received was a 50% tuition reduction. There's no way I can take out $60,000 more in order to go there to get an M.A. No Thank You.

Honestly, as much hype as there is about Chicago, I hate the school. There are so many students and the Div. School feels so cold. Sigh. :cry:

Philmajor,

I applied to the religious ethics area but wrote in my personal statement a good bit about David Tracy. I think Tracy's work can help me develop an interdisciplinary theology of public engagement that can bring together religious and political communities around shared social practices. I didn't communicate with anyone in the Department, so I don't have any "inside" knowledge about what's going on.

What about you? What sub-field did you apply to?

Foureyes,

What about the Divinity school turned you off? Did the student body have a sense of collegiality in the classes? Were the faculty willing to engage students outside of class?