Importance of Research Experience in PhD Application

eduKate

My ultimate goal is to eventually apply for a PhD program at a top-tier school. I have been accepted for an MA at UCLA and I am waiting to hear from an MEd program at Harvard. This may be a non-issue because there is of course a good chance I will not get into Harvard. However, even if I do, I think it would be better to go to UCLA because I would have an opportunity to write a thesis, whereas at Harvard I would not. I think that the research experience gained from writing a thesis will be beneficial in applying for a PhD. However, my parents think that the name "Harvard" alone trumps everything else, and that if I get accepted at Harvard I should just go there, even though I would not get to write a thesis. What do you guys think? Would my potential PhD application be strengthened more by going to UCLA and writing an MA thesis or by going to Harvard? I appreciate everyone's insight and assistance.

that's a good question. My Harvard application is based very much on the fact that I will likely never have the time to do a PhD (I'm busting my butt right now just to be able to take a ten-month sabbatical). Name value may have played 20%, but I basically shopped for the program that would best supplement my career as a teacher. Unfortunately, Ed.M will likely be the last time in my life that I am in a classroom from the student side.

Name value...UCLA isn't exactly obscure either; are you based in or plan to work in California? If so, UCLA may (probably) carry more weight than Harvard; I think in the California school system, only Stanford could trump UCLA, and not by much.

If you got into UCLA I don't see why you don't have a very strong chance of getting into Harvard. As for me, I'm banking on strong GRE scores and my long teaching career to counterweight a weak undergraduate record (albeit - hopefully albeit - at a very rigorous Tier One school).

What's your concentration? Are you already a teacher? What are you hoping to do your PhD in (subfield of education)? Ultimate career goal? These all play enormous factors in deciding UCLA versus Harvard.

My ultimate goal is to eventually apply for a PhD program at a top-tier school. I have been accepted for an MA at UCLA and I am waiting to hear from an MEd program at Harvard. This may be a non-issue because there is of course a good chance I will not get into Harvard. However, even if I do, I think it would be better to go to UCLA because I would have an opportunity to write a thesis, whereas at Harvard I would not. I think that the research experience gained from writing a thesis will be beneficial in applying for a PhD. However, my parents think that the name "Harvard" alone trumps everything else, and that if I get accepted at Harvard I should just go there, even though I would not get to write a thesis. What do you guys think? Would my potential PhD application be strengthened more by going to UCLA and writing an MA thesis or by going to Harvard? I appreciate everyone's insight and assistance.

Hi Kate,

I am beginning a PhD program in the Fall, so I can't offer you an inside perspective. I can, however, tell you about my experience as an applicant. Research experience does seem to matter in your application. I have been a teacher-researcher for the last four years and I believe that this was an important factor when my application was evaluated. A thesis is one type of research experience, but I think, at either place, there should be opportunities to work on research projects. It may be a good idea to contact professors at both schools with whom you would like to work if accepted. I would ask them about opportunities to work as a research assistant. I am assuming your end goal with the PhD is to teach and do research in education, therefore this is a good way to get a sense of whether the PhD is a good fit for you. If you are more practice oriented, then consider the EdD.

As far as name recognition, I personally think that matters very little on a doctoral level. I think what really matters is who you work under and how well this person is respected in your field. In my area of education, schools such as the University of Oregon and the University of Washington have greats who would be excellent doctoral mentors. In the end, well-funded institutions are also important to consider because those are the sites where cutting-edge research will be underway. I would start by looking through the literature in your field and identifying the names of people who are doing the type of work you would like to do. Then see what universities these people teach at and apply to those first. These may be "big name" schools, or they may not be.

Good Luck! I hope you find a school that is a perfect match!biggrin.gif