Cornell MPS vs Umich MS Applied Stats

I got accepted to these two programs but found it so hard to decide which program to attend. I am an international student, and I want to get a job in the US after the graduation. I am currently a senior student at a TOP 40 US college double majoring in Maths and Econ.

Umich's applied stats seems better from the academic's perspective, but I cannot find any job placement statistics of the students of this program. I am not sure if this program is helpful for getting jobs. Cornell MPS is more career-oriented, but it is a one year program, which is a huge disadvantage for international students to find jobs. While the curriculum involves the use of a lot of programming, which is attractive to me since I don't have any knowledge of this (except for R). I want to start a career in data science (ideal job positions: data analyst/business analyst/data scientist), or probably consulting. Is there any suggestion for me?? I really appreciate any advice or comments!!

31 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I think the MS will be viewed better than the MPS by data science employers, being a two year degree.

I do agree! But I am concerned about the job opportunities provided to Umich ms students, comparing to Cornell's IVY reputation. Do you think Cornell's career resources and reputation will offset the disadvantage of being a one-year MPS degree? or do the employers care more about the reputation of the program itself?

Edited by zxy2018

Most people aren't going to find careers through their career department, and Michigan has a great statistics department with a better reputation than Cornell. That being said, I've heard that some jobs internationally (China, basically) prefer Ivy League grads.  In the US, nobody will care.

That being said, the MPS placements do look pretty impressive and it saves you a year of schooling. For me personally, if I were looking for a job afterwards, saving a year would be a big advantage.  You also have a capstone project which will probably help you land a job. 

Honestly, work hard and I doubt you would be held back by either option.