Getting Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) from Columbia University

brutus10

Question

Hi,

I am an international student accepted to a masters program at Columbia University. I need to get the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) from the university to get a private loan from a US based financial institution and to apply for F-1 visa. However, in order to be eligible for I-20, I need to prove that I have all the necessary funds to study at Columbia. This is a deadlock. Why'd I need a private loan if I already had the necessary funds? Or maybe I am missing something here. Am sure other international students going to Columbia would have similar questions.

Edited by brutus10

1 answer to this question

The I-20 is an immigration document that allows you to be in the United States for a certain purpose (studies). Based on it, you can get a visa to enter the United States, the F-1 (student visa). Now, to get the I-20 you need to show that you can fund your studies, since you are not allowed to work in the US. So far I was with you on your question. But where I get confused is where you say that you "need to get the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20)". To my understanding, that's simply not what the I-20 is. I assume that the Certificate of Eligibility is a loan-related financial document. If so, it'd be entirely independent than the I-20, which is an immigration document. I'd go back and re-check precisely what you need to submit.