Applying to phd programs with an interdisciplinary MA?

Aesthetics Always

Can anyone share experiences with applying to PhD programs with a non philosophy MA degree? Specifically those with interdisciplinary backgrounds or those involved with the arts. 

My undergraduate degree focused upon philosophy, sound, and technology, while my masters is similar but with visual studies. Both of my degrees are from strong institutions and my undergrad has very high acceptance rates into phd programs, however I am coming from an arts school currently with my MA.

Edited by Aesthetics Always

I don't have personal experience with this, but I can tell you that I know quite a few people who did it, and who report that it was pretty easy. FWIW, though, their MA tends to be in a cognate field (e.g. art history and they want to work in aesthetics, econ/polisci and they want to work in political philosophy, health sciences and bioethics, linguistics and phil. of language, etc.). 

I can tell you that, in my experience, these people make for very strong scholars and presenters. The background in the allied field makes all the difference, and you can really tell that they have a better grasp of the subject than most of the straight-up philosophers working in it.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, maxhgns said:

I don't have personal experience with this, but I can tell you that I know quite a few people who did it, and who report that it was pretty easy. FWIW, though, their MA tends to be in a cognate field (e.g. art history and they want to work in aesthetics, econ/polisci and they want to work in political philosophy, health sciences and bioethics, linguistics and phil. of language, etc.). 

I can tell you that, in my experience, these people make for very strong scholars and presenters. The background in the allied field makes all the difference, and you can really tell that they have a better grasp of the subject than most of the straight-up philosophers working in it.

That makes me feel good to hear! I am definitely focusing my proposed research interests upon what my background is the strongest in, which have been consistent since my undergraduate work as well. I think that the main thing that could hold me back is that most of my coursework has been so interdisciplinary that I fear schools will not read that as an adequate background, in addition to only having one or two possible recommenders who are within the field of philosophy.

• 1 month later...

I'm in a similar position. I did a BA in Philosophy and I'm currently studying for a Master in Public Policy. I'm also working and publishing a bit in Bioethics. The responses I've been getting are mixed. Some say that the masters I have may be detrimental to my applications. 

Does anyone know any departments that are strong in the area of Philosophy and Public Policy/Public Affairs? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 5:46 PM, Trulli said:

I'm in a similar position. I did a BA in Philosophy and I'm currently studying for a Master in Public Policy. I'm also working and publishing a bit in Bioethics. The responses I've been getting are mixed. Some say that the masters I have may be detrimental to my applications. 

Does anyone know any departments that are strong in the area of Philosophy and Public Policy/Public Affairs? 

Georgetown University offers a PGR ranked program for a PhD in both Applied Ethics and Political Philosophy. But they also have many options for Public Policy MAs and a PhD program in Government.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:46 AM, Trulli said:

Queen's (Kingston, Canada) is very strong in social and political, and has a tops public policy department. Also very strong in bioethics. But they're a bit of a boutique program in that respect.