DOE Fellowships

finnegans_cake

So, this is the new Department of Energy Graduate Fellowship. Besides the same announcement reposted everywhere on the web, there is almost no independent information on this fellowship besides what is on the DOE website (http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/SCGF.html). The website is actually pretty good with info, but of course that doesn't satisfy my intense need to know everything about the program, especially WHEN ARE ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING OUT?

On the FAQ it says Mid-March, and in the "key dates" site it just says March. Of course this is made all the worse because we don't have any previous years to go on. How many fellowships do they plan on awarding? Which fields are they going to favor (besides the broad ones they list on the "eligibility" page)? Who is doing the reviews (are they pulling from the GRF scientist pool, or is it internal at DOE)? etc. etc.

I was actually pretty excited about this fellowship, because its more money than the GRFP, even if it will have less notoriety on the CV. Also, because its the first year, I figured a lot less people would be applying.

Does anyone have any insider info at all about this fellowship?

I am also waiting to hear from this fellowship. If I sign in, I get: "Notification will be made to those selected for the Office of Science Graduate Fellowship by March 20, 2010." So, hopefully notifications will be out soon. (Good luck!)

No insider info, sadly.

So, this is the new Department of Energy Graduate Fellowship. Besides the same announcement reposted everywhere on the web, there is almost no independent information on this fellowship besides what is on the DOE website (http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/SCGF.html). The website is actually pretty good with info, but of course that doesn't satisfy my intense need to know everything about the program, especially WHEN ARE ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING OUT?

On the FAQ it says Mid-March, and in the "key dates" site it just says March. Of course this is made all the worse because we don't have any previous years to go on. How many fellowships do they plan on awarding? Which fields are they going to favor (besides the broad ones they list on the "eligibility" page)? Who is doing the reviews (are they pulling from the GRF scientist pool, or is it internal at DOE)? etc. etc.

I was actually pretty excited about this fellowship, because its more money than the GRFP, even if it will have less notoriety on the CV. Also, because its the first year, I figured a lot less people would be applying.

Does anyone have any insider info at all about this fellowship?

It says on the site that they are only funding ~80 students (Fellowship Info). Considering how awesome the funding is ($30,000 stipend, $10,500 tuition benefit, $5,000 research stipend), the research stipend being the key difference between it and the NSF GRF, and since its the DOE and their mission is much more specific than the NSF's, I'm not surprised by that.

Has anyone heard anything about either of the DOE Fellowships? (Office of Science [sCGF] or Computational Science [CSGF])? The Office of Science app says they will notify us by March 20. I saw that last year people seem to have been notified around now about the Computational Science fellowship.

Has anyone heard anything about either of the DOE Fellowships? (Office of Science [sCGF] or Computational Science [CSGF])? The Office of Science app says they will notify us by March 20. I saw that last year people seem to have been notified around now about the Computational Science fellowship.

I just looked at the FAQ on the website for the Office of Science Fellowship, and they've changed the notification date to "by on or around April 15". They've also changed the Key Dates to April 15 for notification of awards.

So it looks like we have another month to wait... I hope it ends positively!

Just checked the CSGF site again, and since yesterday on the sign-in screen the wording has been changed from "mid-march" to "late march", though that appears to be the only place it has changed (the FAQs and the main page still say "mid-march"). Perhaps the luck of the Irish will prevail and we'll hear back today? =)

Just checked the CSGF site again, and since yesterday on the sign-in screen the wording has been changed from "mid-march" to "late march", though that appears to be the only place it has changed (the FAQs and the main page still say "mid-march"). Perhaps the luck of the Irish will prevail and we'll hear back today? =)

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's said late March there for a while. I remember being unsure earlier when it would be, since it said different things in different places.

I'm super impatient and actually called the Krell Institute on Tuesday. The guy I spoke to was really nice, and said that he knew the committee had met recently, but he didn't think there was a final list yet. He said that he would have offered to let me talk with the two people who knew more than he did, but that they were out of the office. He said he thought it would likely be sometime in the next week, however.

Fingers crossed. I'd really like to get this one!

I emailed the Program Coordinator (Jeana Gingery) and she said that she hopes to notify us by the end of this week, and at the end of the month at the latest.

...and I am also really impatient, I feel your pain!

I emailed the Program Coordinator (Jeana Gingery) and she said that she hopes to notify us by the end of this week, and at the end of the month at the latest.

Ooooh, awesome! Thanks so much for doing that! I keep having nightmares about fellowships. I think I'll feel better after I at least hear from the first one!

Is that for the CSGF (old one) or SCGF (new one)? I'm trying not to inflict my neurosis on the poor administrative staff...

Did you email the program coordinator directly? Or just at the address listed on the main CSGF page? I emailed today, in my extreme impatience, but haven't received a response. In my craziness, I'm trying to determine what that might mean.

It's nice to hear that some of you are as neurotic and impatient as I am. I noticed that everywhere it says "notified by mail." (CSGF) Do you think we are really waiting for snail mail or are they going to email us? Not that it matters, I check both every 5 minutes anyways... just some conversation to kill time :)

By the way, I realized when I was going through the grad admissions process that emailing was a bad idea (for me). If I want information, I need to call and NEVER leave a message. As soon as the ball is in their court my neurosis takes over and I start imagining all sorts of crazy reasons...

It's nice to hear that some of you are as neurotic and impatient as I am. I noticed that everywhere it says "notified by mail." (CSGF) Do you think we are really waiting for snail mail or are they going to email us? Not that it matters, I check both every 5 minutes anyways... just some conversation to kill time :)

By the way, I realized when I was going through the grad admissions process that emailing was a bad idea (for me). If I want information, I need to call and NEVER leave a message. As soon as the ball is in their court my neurosis takes over and I start imagining all sorts of crazy reasons...

Haha yeah, I'm completely neurotic. I don't think we're waiting for snail mail; I'm pretty sure on one of their pages it says they'll notify us both by email and snail mail, and I doubt we'd get snail mail first.

Haha yeah, I'm completely neurotic. I don't think we're waiting for snail mail; I'm pretty sure on one of their pages it says they'll notify us both by email and snail mail, and I doubt we'd get snail mail first.

Jeana is the person who replied to the csgf@krellinst.org email address. She also said that she will notify us by both email and snail mail. Yay, neuroses!

Jeana is the person who replied to the csgf@krellinst.org email address. She also said that she will notify us by both email and snail mail. Yay, neuroses!

Cool. I emailed early yesterday and haven't heard anything back. I'm hoping that means they're busy getting notifications ready to send out!

...Anyone else going nuts here? It's 5pm on a Friday and I am still in my office, frantically refreshing my email. The joys of being a grad student. Sigh.

I am doing the exact same thing. Except now it's nearly 6pm, so it's even more ridiculous. I guess we'll hear next week. :(