DOE Fellowships

finnegans_cake

Same here, and I'm not even looking for the same one that everyone's talking about now.

Ha. Time to work on the Master's thesis, I guess.

Ha, are you waiting to hear about the Office of Science one? The website says April 15, so we've got a while before we hear anything about that. I heard they got waaaaaay more applications than they expected for the SCGF, and that they consequently experienced a lot of delays.

Ha, are you waiting to hear about the Office of Science one? The website says April 15, so we've got a while before we hear anything about that. I heard they got waaaaaay more applications than they expected for the SCGF, and that they consequently experienced a lot of delays.

Where did you hear that they had lots of delays? I'm dying for any bit of information, although I don't know why I'm so impatient to get an email telling me I didn't get the fellowship :)

So...not sure if I'm reading into this, but when I go to the Krell Institute's website (for the DOE CSGF), you can even log in to look at your application anymore. So, I guess this means they've made their decisions, and we'll hear soon?

I called on Monday and the woman said that if I hadn't received a phone call, then I was very likely getting a rejection letter. She double checked to confirm. I'd imagine we'll all get rejection letters in the mail very soon. :(

Wait. You're saying that all the 'yes' notifications were sent by email on Friday and the rest of us haven't heard yet? What a bummer.

Oh, sorry, I mean that she told me that *all* notifications (accept and reject) were sent on Friday, via email and snail mail. She also said that a few people had called and said they never got the email (possibly due to a spam filter), but that there is a hardcopy on the way. She was really nice on the phone, and sounded like she felt bad telling me I was rejected over the phone.

Also, I put my departmental email on the application, but my departmental email is forwarded to gmail. It has happened before that I have gotten email lost along the way, so I suspect that is where my email got lost.

I got the impression that they had called people rather than emailing, and that they had only called people who won. I didn't get an email either and I think it'd be weird that ALL of us would have "missed" the email, so I'm pretty sure one wasn't sent out.

Yeah, I got my rejection in the (snail) mail yesterday. It does look like they tried to send an email too though because my letter said that I would also be receiving this letter a few days later via the postal service.

Anyone know about the status for the SCGF? Do you think we'll find out next week?

Well at least they finally changed the "Application Status" message to say we'll be notified by April 15, 2010.

Now that many of us have heard about the NSF GRFP, anybody know anything more about when the DOE SCGF will be announced? Best I can find is still April 15.

I'm definitely not expecting anything out of the SCGF since I got a flat out rejection from NSF and I'm guessing this will be uber-competitive, but I'm just tired of waiting.

Now that many of us have heard about the NSF GRFP, anybody know anything more about when the DOE SCGF will be announced? Best I can find is still April 15.

I'm definitely not expecting anything out of the SCGF since I got a flat out rejection from NSF and I'm guessing this will be uber-competitive, but I'm just tired of waiting.

Same boat, only I somehow pulled an HM from the NSF. I have no idea how competitive the SCGF will be, although someone did mention that they got waaaay more apps than expected. I think my proposal hit a few key mission areas for the SCGF, so maybe there's a chance - who knows...

Yea, I received an HM and now am waiting for the NDSEG and the DOE. I Figured the NSF was my best bet since there is so many more offers given. Since they are offering only ~80 fellowships i don't have any hopes. Since this is my last year of eligibility for these fellowships here to hoping i can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

DOE SCGF Phone calls have started coming. Just got one maybe 30 min ago!

Fantastic news on my birthday, after an HM on NSF last night.

Someone personally called to say that you got the SCGF? Now I'm going to switch from checking my email constantly to checking my phone constantly.

Congrats on the SCGF and Honorable Mention! I got HM for NSF and am now just hoping that I got the SCGF since it's my last year of eligibility.

Just got the phone call literally two minutes ago as I was reading this thread!!!

Formal notification will arrive in about a week

I, for one, hope you have a name near the beginning of the alphabet.

H

Only question now is when the research conference is... because I won an NSF EAPSI to go to Taiwan this summer, which I hope I can still do.

That's close enough, I still have hope. :-D

(Figures: 80 people, 5-10 minutes per call, probably only 1 person calling. Should take 2 days. Ok, back to doing real work, for me.)