[AppMath]CMU v.s. UMD v.s. Rice

oludom

Hi guys, I have received three offers(all PhD Programs):

Applied Mathematics @ Carnegie Mellon

Applied Math, Statistics and Scientific Computing @ University of Maryland

Computational and Applied Math @ Rice University

Does anybody know detailed information about these programs? It's hard for me to make the decision. I appreciate your kind help!

it depends on what you're interested in, really easy to figure out go to faculty and look at their interests and publications, then call department and ask about ongoing projects and prospect of research in your area of interest. in general, cmu > umd > rice.

CMU is strong in general but bad funding?

UMD AMSC has lot of integration with their MATH and STAT so you get a lot of pure math exposure if that's what you want which is recommended if you like probability/stochastics/sampling theory

RICE applied math is known for all things numerical analysis

figure this out asap so you can turn down 2 and let others in :)

I think Rice and Carnegie have better names outside the field, inside can't tell... I go to Maryland though and it's considered the worst city - crime-wise.

Thank you, errrr. In fact I want to take a job in industry rather than the academic world after graduation. You believe that UMD is not the best choice from this angle, right? Besides, can you tell me something more about Maryland? I'm interested why you call it the "worst city". : )

it depends on what you're interested in, really easy to figure out go to faculty and look at their interests and publications, then call department and ask about ongoing projects and prospect of research in your area of interest. in general, cmu > umd > rice.

CMU is strong in general but bad funding?

UMD AMSC has lot of integration with their MATH and STAT so you get a lot of pure math exposure if that's what you want which is recommended if you like probability/stochastics/sampling theory

RICE applied math is known for all things numerical analysis

figure this out asap so you can turn down 2 and let others in smile.gif

Thx a lot for your reply, robben. I think that CMU and UMD are stronger in academic pursuits than Rice, and if I want to take a job in industry after graduation, CMU is the best choice. But I also know that the AMSC program of Maryland is much more integrated than that of CMU, which means I can easily switch my field of research if I like. Wow... it's a hard decision!

p.s. CMU promises a yearly stipend of 18k or more, not that "bad" I think. : )

We get emails like this (usually worse) all the time:

ps. This is right next to campus where students live...

CRIME ALERT-FROM THE PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE

The following is a brief synopsis of information reported to the Prince

George's County Police:

INCIDENT: Off-campus Armed Robbery

OCCURRED: Saturday 03-06-10 @ 3:20 a.m.

PGPD CASE #: 10-065-0394

BRIEF DETAILS:

On 3-6-10 at approximately 3:20 a.m., victim 1 (V1) and victim 2 (V2),

male UMD students, were walking in the 7400 Blk Baltimore Avenue when

the (V1) was struck in the face by the (S1) for an unprovoked reason in

the parking lot at 7411 Baltimore Ave http://tinyurl.com/ygv6et2. The

(S1) then slapped the (V2)'s phone from his hand. The (S2) retrieved the

phone. The (S1) and (S2) then put their hands in their waistbands

implying that they had handguns. The (S3) stood watch. The suspects then

fled towards College Avenue with (V2's) property.

Suspect Description: (S1) B/M/ 18-23? / 6'/ 150/ dreads/ blk

baseball cap, blk hoodie, blu jeans, NFD

(S2) B/M/ 18-23? / 5'9'''/ 170/ close cut/

blu or grn track jacket, blu jeans, NFD

(S3) B/M/ 18-23? / 5'11''/ 160/ close cut/

blk jacket, blu jeans, NFD

The Prince George's County Police Department is conducting an

investigation. Individuals with any information regarding this incident

or the possible identity of suspects are encouraged to contact police

(911 or 301-699-2601).

I am also admitted to [AppMath]CMU, and personally I have long admired that school. The applied math program in UMD is bigger, and more traditional, I think--such as fluid mechenics, PDE and scientific computing. On the other hand, CMU is small, but less traditional. Besides the applied anaylsis, CMU has the group of discrete mathematics, operations research and financial engineering.

Another point I love CMU is that John. F. Nash (''a beautiful mind'') got his Bachlors' and Master's Degree in math there. So there is also a research group at CMU named after him.

I am also admitted to [AppMath]CMU, and personally I have long admired that school. The applied math program in UMD is bigger, and more traditional, I think--such as fluid mechenics, PDE and scientific computing. On the other hand, CMU is small, but less traditional. Besides the applied anaylsis, CMU has the group of discrete mathematics, operations research and financial engineering.

Another point I love CMU is that John. F. Nash (''a beautiful mind'') got his Bachlors' and Master's Degree in math there. So there is also a research group at CMU named after him.

Hi sapling. I see in your profile that you've been admitted to many great institutions. Apart from CMU, there are Chicago, Umich, Columbia... Which one will you most probably accept?

Hi sapling. I see in your profile that you've been admitted to many great institutions. Apart from CMU, there are Chicago, Umich, Columbia... Which one will you most probably accept?

Hello! I guess I might be in the same country with you, because I found someone in my country (China) got exactly these three perfect programs. Anyway, it might also be a coincidence. tongue.gif As for me, I have not decided which school to go. Currently, I am choosing between IEOR@Columbia and Stat@Chicago. You can also offer me some advice rolleyes.gif Thanks.

In terms of CMU, a graduate student of my school once went to there, and he said it is a perfect school. After all, CMU has a very good reputation in industrial. (The only disadvantage is, if you are from China, that there are very few Chinese students in this program. As an international student, it might be a challenge in the beginning). The faculty at AMCS@UMD have much broader interest than CMU, but personally I do not like the wether there--it is too cold. They are both prefect programs. You can also write to the professors in these program, seeking their advice. I though it might also be helpful.

Edited by sapling

Hello! I guess I might be in the same country with you, because I found someone in my country (China) got exactly these three perfect programs. Anyway, it might also be a coincidence. tongue.gif As for me, I have not decided which school to go. Currently, I am choosing between IEOR@Columbia and Stat@Chicago. You can also offer me some advice rolleyes.gif Thanks.

In terms of CMU, a graduate student of my school once went to there, and he said it is a perfect school. After all, CMU has a very good reputation in industrial. (The only disadvantage is, if you are from China, that there are very few Chinese students in this program. As an international student, it might be a challenge in the beginning). The faculty at AMCS@UMD have much broader interest than CMU, but personally I do not like the wether there--it is too cold. They are both prefect programs. You can also write to the professors in these program, seeking their advice. I though it might also be helpful.

I guess you are from Fudan University.. Am I right?

The University of Maryland is one of the worst cities a college could be in, College Park, MD, which is very close to both very nice places (Capitol Hill), and very bad places (Anacostia), which is just the nature of things within the capital beltway. Going there, however, isn't nearly as bad as you would think, because the campus is usually locked down pretty tight at night, and is relatively much safer than the surrounding city, and if you're smart (take the saferide, leave campus by 8PM), there's no reason you ever have to feel unsafe there. The campus police department does a pretty good job of keeping the campus safe.

I went to the University of Maryland, and it's in a densely populated and very expensive place to live, but it's really not so bad. There are places to live a few miles from campus that might be affordable on a graduate stipend, and there is a subsidized apartment building next to campus for phd students, with a 1-2 year waiting list, that is really affordable and generally safe. And of course, if you can arrange a room mate, there are 2, 3 and 4-bedroom complexes that are very reasonable when the rent is shared. Don't rent a house in the city, that's for undergrads.

It's really a nice school, and a nice campus, I'd hate to think it wouldn't make the list just because College Park is so crummy. I don't know anything about your programs, just wanted to add one student's prospective of UMD. Good luck.