Woodrow Wilson School

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GAAAH... how will I sleep till Friday now?! I better go ski and knock myself out on a tree or something. :P *knock on wood* lol.

thanks for the heads up. just out of curiosity, how does your friend like it? I know the quality of education is unmatched, but is the workload really as insane as I've heard? Is there any sort of nightlife?

GAAAH... how will I sleep till Friday now?! I better go ski and knock myself out on a tree or something. tongue.gif *knock on wood* lol.

thanks for the heads up. just out of curiosity, how does your friend like it? I know the quality of education is unmatched, but is the workload really as insane as I've heard? Is there any sort of nightlife?

I have a number of friends who are currently in the MPA program. They all enjoy it, but the workload is intense. You will probably spend many a nights in the basement of Robertson Hall. (I know I did when just taking summer courses there.)

As far as nightlife, have you ever been to Princeton? I am pretty sure the only chain establishments in the city proper are Starbucks, Panera, and CVS. Everything else is locally-owned establishments, which is great, but it is a small town. My friends hop on the train to New York and Philly often. There is also a bar on campus just for grad students.

Edited by SweetTea08

I have a number of friends who are currently in the MPA program. They all enjoy it, but the workload is intense. You will probably spend many a nights in the basement of Robertson Hall. (I know I did when just taking summer courses there.)

As far as nightlife, have you ever been to Princeton? I am pretty sure the only chain establishments in the city proper are Starbucks, Panera, and CVS. Everything else is locally-owned establishments, which is great, but it is a small town. My friends hop on the train to New York and Philly often. There is also a bar on campus just for grad students.

Hah, no I haven't been to Princeton, but I have been asking around and am a little worried about what I hear! I really want to go there for the educational experience, but I'm not sure how I'd handle being in a small/dead town... I'm also right smack between undergrad and grad age groups, so I might be even worse off lol.

I see from your signature you were accepted to Syracuse... if you get into WWS, would it be safe to assume you'd go there over Maxwell? (feel free not to answer lol!)

Edited by kabutar

Hah, no I haven't been to Princeton, but I have been asking around and am a little worried about what I hear! I really want to go there for the educational experience, but I'm not sure how I'd handle being in a small/dead town... I'm also right smack between undergrad and grad age groups, so I might be even worse off lol.

I see from your signature you were accepted to Syracuse... if you get into WWS, would it be safe to assume you'd go there over Maxwell? (feel free not to answer lol!)

Kabutar, Princeton is small, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "dead."

RE: Syracuse v. WWS - Too early to tell. LOL!

I was just reading last year's posts and it seems that emails actually went out Wed Mar 11 last year... I'm wondering if that may be the case this year too with Friday the 12th being the date that everyone should hear by, bar none.

I guess we'll find out in two days, unless the OP definitely meant that emails are going out ON Friday (and not BY Friday) :P Actually, it does read that way, I'm just probably nitpicking now...

Ugh. Good luck all!

Edited by kabutar

A good way to kill some time if you haven't read through it yet:

http://wws.princeton...book/index.html

It looks like WWS doesn't put as much emphasis on years of work experience as I had thought, but grades seem important -- applicants with GPAs above 3.7 have about a 20% chance of being accepted.

I have a friend who graduated from WWS last year and she told me that she was the only student to be admitted straight out of undergrad who wasn't a WWS Pickering Fellow. Seems to me that unless you are entering the foreign service, you don't have much of a shot getting in without working experience (bad news for people like me!)

<br />A good way to kill some time if you haven't read through it yet:<br /><br /><a href='http://wws.princeton.edu/grad-viewbook/index.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://wws.princeton...book/index.html</a><br /><br />It looks like WWS doesn't put as much emphasis on years of work experience as I had thought, but grades seem important -- applicants with GPAs above 3.7 have about a 20% chance of being accepted.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

as liz lemon would say, "blerg".

as tracy morgan would say, "live every week like it's shark week".

i really don't know what else to say...

I have a friend who graduated from WWS last year and she told me that she was the only student to be admitted straight out of undergrad who wasn't a WWS Pickering Fellow. Seems to me that unless you are entering the foreign service, you don't have much of a shot getting in without working experience (bad news for people like me!)

Right, I'm sure applying directly out of undergrad without a big name scholarship is tough. I was just surprised that the aditted students with 2,3,4,5+ years of experience were roughly proportional to profiles in the applicant pool.

Hopefully we won't have to stress over historical statistics for much longer, though.

<br /><br /><br />

as liz lemon would say, "blerg".

as tracy morgan would say, "live every week like it's shark week".

i really don't know what else to say...

Or as Woodrow Wilson said: Tell me what is right and I will fight for it.

I'm thinking notification today is right. :)

Seriously. You know they have the emails all ready to go. Just send them!

That said, if I was an admissions officer, I would probably wait until 6 on a Friday - just to avoid the crazy, heat-of-the-moment, "you've ruined my life" phone calls.

I'm sort of hoping they wait until 6 on Friday, since otherwise it might ruin my ability to get work done! On the other hand, I live in Europe, so anytime around noon or later on Friday would work just fine for me ;)

In any case, hopefully just one more day...

I'm sort of hoping they wait until 6 on Friday, since otherwise it might ruin my ability to get work done! On the other hand, I live in Europe, so anytime around noon or later on Friday would work just fine for me wink.gif

In any case, hopefully just one more day...

I'm in Europe too - if they wait until 6 pm, it will be midnight in my country... Boy, haven't been this nervous since the entrance exam for my UG studies. And that was a long time ago.

Good luck to everyone!

Well, I got an email saying I'm in. I'm still in shock and I'm not sure I'm going to take it...

The information that came with it said they took 85 out of 891 candidates.

Congrats congrats! Tough acceptance rate for sure... People with little working experience like me probably have no chance this year... sniff sniff

But seriously congratulations!

Well, I got an email saying I'm in. I'm still in shock and I'm not sure I'm going to take it...

Wow congrats... that's such odd timing though! 12 AM on the east coast...?! Anybody else heard anything yet? Maybe they're set to go out Friday morning 12 AM automatically?

Edit - I think they are. Just saw someone on Twitter post his email - apparently it said 12:01 AM. So if you haven't gotten anything yet, probably safe to assume you're out :P which includes me lol

Edited by kabutar