Urgent! Names different on I20 and Passport

Hey guys,

I received my I20 last month, but until now I hadn't seen that the my name on I20 is different from the name entered in my passport. I realized the mismatch of names while filling the DS160 form today, I don't know how long it would take the embassy to issue the VISA, and I still haven't submitted the VISA application, so I'm really worried now and I feel short of time.

In my I20,

Surname is  - XXXX YYYY

Given name is - *blank*

While in my Passport,

Surname is - *blank*

Given name - XXXX YYYY

I don't know what to do now, shall I fill the Names section in DS 160 according to the name in my Passport or the I20? Or shall I ask the university to issue an updated I20? Or shall I try to get the name in my passport changed?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you

^seconding this. Most likely, you'll need a new I-20. The information on all of your documents should match. Ask your international students office, they should know what to do. I suggest you do this on Monday, to save time, but I don't think you need to worry. It doesn't take long to issue student visas, and it's only mid-May, so you should be fine. 

Hey guys,

So if the University sends a new I-20 to me with the name updated according to my Passport which is as follows -

Surname  - *blank*

Given name - XXXX YYYY

Will I be having any problems after reaching the United States?

I mean, having no surname in my official documents (I-20, Passport VISA) woudn't tend to create a problem for me in any way, right? I would be able to receive financial aid, open a bank account and file taxes? Or having a surname is important in USA?

You're likely to have all kinds of problems, since both first and last name are often required fields in many (many!) online applications and forms. You shouldn't have trouble entering the US since all of your documents will be in order, but you can expect some trouble with some bureaucracies. You may need human assistance in places where others could just use an online form. It should all be resolvable, but it may be a pain. This thread may be helpful: