Should I retake the GRE(s)?

V: 97%, W: 6, Q: 51%

Subject Test: 84%

I'm starting a one-year M.A. program this year that overlaps into next September, which means I will be applying to PhD programs in the fall of 2019, for 2020 entry. I technically have about a year and a few months to study in that respect, but I'd also rather use that time to put all my energy into my M.A. program and dissertation. I'm probably not looking at any ivy PhD programs (though I may apply to one or two as long shots), but am hoping to end up at a very solid program.

Excellent scores-no one will care about your Quant score! DO not waste time with a retake- just my opinion, but once you reach a certain threshold, ad coms looking at writing. By the way, these scores are fine for any ivy if your writing sample and SOP stand out. Good luck! 84% on subject test is amazing-that test is a bear.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, bpilgrim89 said:

Agree with everyone else here! Put the work into your SOP and writing sample! If your scores are this good, you could land a spot at an Ivy if you write compelling documents.

good luck at Penn @bpilgrim89! I went there for undergrad (very long ago)- who will you be working with? Al Filreis is so much fun!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, indecisivepoet said:

V: 97%, W: 6, Q: 51%

Subject Test: 84%

I'm starting a one-year M.A. program this year that overlaps into next September, which means I will be applying to PhD programs in the fall of 2019, for 2020 entry. I technically have about a year and a few months to study in that respect, but I'd also rather use that time to put all my energy into my M.A. program and dissertation. I'm probably not looking at any ivy PhD programs (though I may apply to one or two as long shots), but am hoping to end up at a very solid program.

@indecisivepoet you are asking some great questions on here! Definitely seem ready to pursue a PhD-was just reading your question about conferences-I was happy to get some feedback in that arena! Good luck!

22 hours ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

@indecisivepoet you are asking some great questions on here! Definitely seem ready to pursue a PhD-was just reading your question about conferences-I was happy to get some feedback in that arena! Good luck!

More like I just discovered these forums and am going a bit overboard.. :) They're an incredibly resource, though -- the collective knowledge of a bunch of already-attending English PhDs at universities all over the country can probably prep me for apps better than anything else. I'm glad I discovered them now when I still have so much time to read through everything and use my MA time carefully.