University of Texas (LBJ)

Hmm, I thought it would be by the end of this week. It has to be the very last minute the year we all apply, right??

FYI: Got an email from an admissions rep at LBJ, they will be sending out emails the week of the 15th and possibly by the end of this week.

Good luck everyone!

I applied to GW, LBJ, and Evans. I got into GW, but am anxiously waiting on the others! I would like to visit LBJ, but I'm worried that it will be such short notice between an acceptance and an open house I won't be able to.

A friend of mine who is an alum told me the first open house will be on the 29th of March. That, IMHO, is an awfully short period of time between notification and open house, particularly if there's no fellowship information involved.

The people in the admissions office are super nice and helpful, though, so I'm thinking I might just call and clarify.

I applied to GW, LBJ, and Evans. I got into GW, but am anxiously waiting on the others! I would like to visit LBJ, but I'm worried that it will be such short notice between an acceptance and an open house I won't be able to.

Well, I can tell you this much, its pretty hard to beat Austin Tx. I have been here for 4 years and I love it, it is a super cool city with a lot to do. As for the program, it may not be as national recognized as some of the other private schools but it is a hell of a lot cheaper and is ranked 9th in social policy and 10th in policy analysis (depending on what you think of the ranking system thats pretty good).

I got an email from UT's financial aid office this evening saying they couldn't process my application for aid because I hadn't been admitted yet, but it would be processed when/if I was admitted. Did anyone else get this? Trying not to read anything into it...

Got the same email today. I don't think it means anything - just that they received the FAFSA. I imagine at big state schools it is a huge bureaucracy so LBJ probably isn't talking to Fin. Aid. Hopefully we'll find out the "when/if" scenario soon.

I also got the financial aid email, but I didn't get the email from the admissions rep that berekeleybear06 mentioned. Anyone else in this situation? Seems bad to me.

Nothing to worry about, the only reason i got that info is because i inquired as to the status of my application. He emailed back saying they were wrapping admissions up and emails would be going out as early as late this week but most likely next week.

Good luck!

I just recieved an acceptance letter from them via email. I am very excited but very confused as well. I have been accepted at a few DC schools and have to weigh my choices. Can anyone comment on the strengths/weaknesses of LBJ´s MPAff program? Is it a big disadvantage being so far from the DC scene?

I'd also be interested in people's thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses of the program. The link above to the program's job placement info shows that 50% stay in Texas, which I have absolutely no desire to do.

And now I'm anxiously awaiting the funding decision...

How many of you posted on the results board? Trying to figure out if I haven't heard yet, that I should expect a rejection. They appeard to bel spread out over a couple days last year, even stradling a weekend? Any thoughts on this?

Not sure how UT does things but most schools have multiple waives of acceptance emails. Hang tight!

I just wanted to alleviate any fears out there about the LBJ School and Austin....

I moved to Austin for an AmeriCorps VISTA year in June and absolutely love it. I'm from Seattle, went to undergrad in Philly, and am applying for graduate school in DC, Europe, etc, but honestly feel like I want to settle down in Austin. If you're scared of Texas, don't be.

I also have a lot of friends here who went to the LBJ school and loved it. I even applied because I love this town so much! If I were to get a full ride I think I'd even stay (though Georgetown would fit future career goals nicely).

So for those of you out there concerned that Texas won't fit into future plans, I can assure you you're wrong. There are a ton of people here from all over the country (and the world), and for many of them Austin is just a stop. And I can promise you that people you meet here will be the easiest people to network with. Yes, you're in Texas, but you're neighbor may be from London and has a friend who works at that company you want to work for, and sure, he'd love to introduce you......

That's Austin.

I just wanted to alleviate any fears out there about the LBJ School and Austin....

I moved to Austin for an AmeriCorps VISTA year in June and absolutely love it. I'm from Seattle, went to undergrad in Philly, and am applying for graduate school in DC, Europe, etc, but honestly feel like I want to settle down in Austin. If you're scared of Texas, don't be.

I also have a lot of friends here who went to the LBJ school and loved it. I even applied because I love this town so much! If I were to get a full ride I think I'd even stay (though Georgetown would fit future career goals nicely).

So for those of you out there concerned that Texas won't fit into future plans, I can assure you you're wrong. There are a ton of people here from all over the country (and the world), and for many of them Austin is just a stop. And I can promise you that people you meet here will be the easiest people to network with. Yes, you're in Texas, but you're neighbor may be from London and has a friend who works at that company you want to work for, and sure, he'd love to introduce you......

That's Austin.

I second that, did my undergrad at Berkeley then took a job here in Austin. I love it and was pretty excited to get into LBJ.

I second that, did my undergrad at Berkeley then took a job here in Austin. I love it and was pretty excited to get into LBJ.

Thanks for that insight. I have visited Austin and absolutely love the city. I am sure that i would enjoy my time there. My concerns are more about opportunities for internships and jobs after. Do most people go to DC to complete a summer internship? I noticed that 50% of graduates work in Texas after graduating. I personally would like to work in DC. How well known in LBJ outside of Texas circles? Does LBJ have a large alumni network outside of Texas?

I'm not really sure what the alumni network is like, mostly because I've only been in Texas for less than a year!

What I DO know is that there are times when I'm speaking to someone (like a friend on the east coast), and I say I live in Austin, they either know about Austin or they don't. And the ones that do are ecstatic that I live here, have heard of the LBJ school, etc. It reminds me of how people react when I say 'Penn.' They either know Penn's reputation and are impressed or they think it's a large public school, and why did I move to Philly to go there?

And again, the people here are great networking tools. Sure, a lot of people are born and raised Texas and stay, but understandably since Austin is very hard to leave. If you're concerned, just visit and talk to the students and professors and see what sort of experiences they have in terms of name recognition and internships.