If I'm rejected from all my schools I'm going to be...

obscurefemale

Sorry for the second topic in so short of a time! But I thought this might be a good place to distract ourselves from all those gloom and doom thoughts running rampant in our skulls!

Okay if I'm rejected from all my schools I'm going to be...a farmer.

My boyfriend said he wants to live on a farm so we'll get a farm, live on it, I'll milk cows and have lots of babies and read art history textbooks when I'm not slaughtering chickens.

Either that or I'll apply to some programs in the Netherlands. Or possibly look into a Library Science degree?

So people...back up plans? What do you secretly want to be if Art History fails you? Any astronauts out there?

Hey,

I've been occasionally reading up on the posts here, although I've never posted here before. I saw your mention of the Netherlands and was compelled to reply...

I'm currently in a MA program in the Netherlands, and it helped me get into the Courtauld Institute's MPhil/PhD program for this fall. I was a really long shot, because I had little art historical training before the master's, and my undergraduate grades were less than stellar, but doing the MA here really helped me out.

I hope you do get into a good program for fall '10 with your current applications, but if things don't work out, do consider MA programs in the Netherlands. Actually, if you want to submit applications now for fall admission, some programs are still accepting applications. For example, the deadline for Leiden University is April 1st for foreign students. They have scholarships available, with the same deadline. If you want further info, you can send me a private message and I'd be happy to help (note that I'll be traveling so I may not be able to reply quickly). My specialty is in contemporary art, btw.

Some things you should be aware about the Dutch MA programs--they're all relatively new; the first of these programs came into being around 2002. Before that, the Dutch did not have master's degrees as their higher education system was closer to that of the German system; the changes were instituted due to the Bologna Process. Because of this, there may be some kinks that are still being worked out--but as long as you plan well, and you make the most out of the opportunities, the program's probably going to be a positive experience.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Sorry for the second topic in so short of a time! But I thought this might be a good place to distract ourselves from all those gloom and doom thoughts running rampant in our skulls!

My boyfriend said he wants to live on a farm so we'll get a farm, live on it, I'll milk cows and have lots of babies and read art history textbooks when I'm not slaughtering chickens.

Either that or I'll apply to some programs in the Netherlands. Or possibly look into a Library Science degree?

So people...back up plans? What do you secretly want to be if Art History fails you? Any astronauts out there?

Happily for the chickens, you got into a school. Congrats!