Applying to 'elite' ecology programs with low GPA?

chaeTo

I'm preparing to apply to Ecology graduate programs and would like to start in the Fall of 2019.  The schools I am most interested in are UC Davis, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Colorado State, Yale, Duke and UVa.  

I graduated in 2014 with a GPA of 3.02.  GPA by semester: 2.98, 2.82, 2.16, 3.15, 3.30, 3.44, 3.80 (semester abroad so not part of 3.02) and 3.54.  Luckily this shows a steady upward trend, and the last 4 semesters are significantly higher than 3.02. However, the minimum GPA at most schools I'm applying to is 3.0, with 'suggested' GPAs of 3.25 and higher. 

Outside of my GPA I have some resume highlights; 3 years of field work and research project participation, a peer reviewed paper in review for publication (2nd author), 2 poster presentations at large conferences, symposium speaker at a large conference and multiple independent research projects.  Additionally I am currently studying HARD for the GRE and generally do well on standardized tests.  I expect strong letters of recommendation.  

Given this information, do I have enough "other stuff" going for me to have any hope of getting into a program at these schools?  Is there a specific way I should frame my GPA in applications?  I don't really have an excuse except that I got much better at studying and much more motivated in my last 2 years of school.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just go for it and don't sell yourself short. Emphasize your research experience and other academic accomplishments (such as the conferences/publications). The 3.0 GPA requirement is mostly to make sure you don't bomb out of the Master's phase of PhD programs. Whether or not they value the GPA is very school- and program-specific and many will overlook it entirely. I'm not sure how much I'd focus on it during the application, but definitely be prepared to discuss the upward trend and your passion for research in interviews... if they bring it up. Good experience, LORs, and GRE scores will be likely be enough to get you in to some of those programs. Also, keep in mind there really is no such thing as a "safety" school in graduate applications.

Honestly I don't think I would worry too much about your GPA, especially if you can get a good GRE score. I think what matters most for ecology programs is the type of research experience and how applicable that experience is to the labs/advisors that you will be applying to work with. In ecology programs you usually have to have an advisor(s) picked out and contact them to see if they are accepting students since most ecology programs require you to say somewhere on your application that an advisor is willing to take you into their lab for the year you are applying for. Some advisors may advertise that they want students with a certain GPA but most are looking for students who have research experience or interests that aligns with the type of research that they do. Typically advisors will want to chat with you/do an interview and if they have any questions about your GPA you could explain it during that process.

So what I recommend is making sure that there is a lab or multiple labs you are interested in working with at these programs you mention, and then make sure the advisor(s) of those labs will be taking on new students in the following year. I have some tips on how to approach doing that, since I did a ton of that during my program search and would be more than happy to provide you with some tips.

• 2 months later...

One of the most important parts of your application for an ecology program is a rapport with a professor at the department who is willing to vouch for you. Get in contact with professors whose research you find interesting. Discuss potential projects you could do, and get them interested in you. Your GPA will not limit you too much, if you have a professor interested in you as a researcher. It may limit your university/departmental fellowships.