Can I hurry up a school on their admission process? Nudge maybe

pea-jay

I'm not trying to be a pain in the school's rear but should I write them and inform them of my admit to the *other* school three stops south on the Lexington Avenue Local? I've had good communications with the the admissions director and faculty and would be a good fit there. However they have one of the latest deadlines amongst MPA schools and I fear getting an acceptance letter way too late from them. Honestly, both schools have reasons why I should or shouldnt attend, but I cant really compare them unless I have two offers.

Given the fact that I HAVE to write the school to get my name in for consideration for an assistanceship, can or should I reference my NYU admit?

Edited by pea-jay

Hey pea-jay, I sent CUNY an e-mail on Wednesday, and the head of the adcomm got back to me yesterday with a decision, indicating that an official letter would follow. I think CUNY is just bureaucratically slow. I would definitely send an e-mail of inquiry, although I'm not sure I would mention NYU, at least at the outset.

Hey pea-jay, I sent CUNY an e-mail on Wednesday, and the head of the adcomm got back to me yesterday with a decision, indicating that an official letter would follow. I think CUNY is just bureaucratically slow. I would definitely send an e-mail of inquiry, although I'm not sure I would mention NYU, at least at the outset.

I don't think there is a program out there that isn't "slow". You have to keep in mind that these decisions are done by committee. Think about the last time you were involved in a group decision. I would suggest righting an application status email as in " hello, i would like to inquire about the status of my application to the department of Blahbility Blah". Otherwise your 'nudge' might be taken the wrong way.

Edited by Cinemadam

Well I sent my email, polite and inquisitive on how the admission/grad assistantship process works for those that applied Jan or before. No mention of NYU or anything that could be construed as pushy. I got an answer quickly back that notifications (including mine) went out this week and watch the mail closely. Yay for small victories.