Profile Evaluation

Snitse

I'm currently doing a math/compsci double major at a top 30 university in the US, and was interested in going to grad school for a math phd after undergrad, but I don't really know what kind of places I should be looking at.

My GPA is a 3.7, with a math and comp sci GPA of 4.0, and I expect it will be higher than that by the time I start sending out applications.

I've done an independent study in geometric group theory, and will be at an REU this coming summer (Right now I am a junior). Hopefully I will publish after my REU.

By the time I will graduate I will have taken calc 2 and 3, linear algebra honors, abstract algebra one and two, real and complex analysis, and a graduate class in geometric group theory, and possibly another random class like computational geometry. In those i have taken so far, I have gotten an A.

I haven't taken my GRE or the GRE subject tests yet either, but if its any indication of how I might do on my GREs (I'm not really sure if it is any indication or not) i got a 2240 on my SATs.

I am a domestic student.

I know that many of the things that my applications depend on are not decided yet for me, so its hard to actually reply, but I was just trying to make some decisions about my life and wanted a better idea of what I might be doing in a couple of years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like you have a good chance at getting into any program you like! Especially if you can publish something. By now you should probably start thinking about (roughly) which areas you'd like to study and where.

A few remarks:

* Start preparing (register for the GREs, take notes on when the deadlines are, pick out recommenders, order transcripts from institutions abroad if applicable) early (late summer/early fall)!

* Study for the subject GRE (it's not so much hard as it is long with just about 3 minutes per question)

* Apply to many (>=10) programs and some safety schools

* Write a good SOP

These are all things I should have done but didn't.

It doesn't seem like you will have seen very much math by the time you apply. In order to get into top programs, I would guess that you'd need some topology, algebraic topology, and many more math electives. However, I would ask professors at your school, as they would know probably better than anyone which schools you should apply to.

It's impossible to assess your chances. Study hard for the subject test, it's quite important and apart from that, don't worry too much.

As Grendel suggested, apply to a wide range of schools. The top places get at least 5 extremely qualified applications per place (3.7+ GPA, 80%+ on the subject test, lots of grad classes, very good letters etc.), so you need something to stand out from the crowd. This could be a great SOP & good fit; or IMO medals, Putnam, publications, etc.

sD.

As others have said study for the subject test, do your best on that REU (it's not crucial to publish, the important thing is to get a good letter) and try to take more math classes. I think that the number of the math classes you've taken (around 10) may be on the low side. I may be completely off here, since I don't know what the requirements for a math major in the US usually are.

someDay, do you think that IMO medals can help you get into grad school? IMO was 4 years ago :)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I would love to be able to take more math classes, but I added my compsci major pretty late, so I have to fill up senior year with all those requirements.

I'll definitely get on the GRE stuff soon, and work hard at that REU.

So why do the CS major if what you want is a PhD in math? The CS major may look OK to some grad schools (or maybe it will just look like you weren't focused), but getting a bunch of advanced math classes on your transcript is crucial. Grad school admissions are brutal lately, and you will be competing against applicants who have tons of upper level math including multiple graduate classes. In particular I would echo the above poster who said to take topology. Some schools seem to consider 2 semesters algebra, 2 analysis, and 1 topology as the minimum core classes anyone must have.

I was going to do a CS minor at one point, but dropped it when I realized the CS courses were just a distraction. I don't feel like it has hurt me in the slightest.

Edited by mrb

Yea, I guess the Comp Sci Major doesn't add that much, I'm really just doing it because I like it a lot. If it wasn't math, I would probably get a Comp Sci PhD.

Also, I wanted to go to school in the Boston area, or relatively close. Obviously there is Harvard and MIT, but I'm not about to put all my eggs in those baskets. Any grad schools in that area that might suit me? I did my own research online and found some stuff, but its not the same as hearing information from people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks again