NSERC 2010-2011

itsAnewStart

Yesterday heard from Queen's grad school that I have been awarded a PDF. Today, they told me that they have made a mistake because NSERC has

changed the format of reporting the results to them, and thus I have not got PDF. Isn't it ridiculous?

Nothing in mail yet.

This is soooo ridiculous .... I am sorry for you...

That means The Grad school will receive the PDF results even if you applied directly to NSERC?

From UWO, gradoffice received the list and is trying to release by today

*crossing fingers*

Last year I got confirmation in the mail before grad studies released the results.

I still do not have a PIN but I got confirmation from our graduate secretary (since they have the spreadsheets already) that I got the CGSD3. No mail yet as of today.

My apologies for picking a similar name. Anyway, did you contact Grad services or did they contact you? If they contacted you I fear for the worst.

Oh well... extra TAing for me!

This is soooo ridiculous .... I am sorry for you...

That means The Grad school will receive the PDF results even if you applied directly to NSERC?

Thanks.

Yes they receive everything! I wish they had not, because could not handle a simple piece of information!

did you contact them, or did they contact you? i'm also at queen's and i've heard nothing yet

Yesterday heard from Queen's grad school that I have been awarded a PDF. Today, they told me that they have made a mistake because NSERC has

changed the format of reporting the results to them, and thus I have not got PDF. Isn't it ridiculous?

Nothing in mail yet.

Edited by usagi-chan

did you contact them, or did they contact you? i'm also at queen's and i've heard nothing yet

They contacted me! They should have the correct results now, because they have realized their mistake. So, ask them if you want.

They contacted me! They should have the correct results now, because they have realized their mistake. So, ask them if you want.

Did they explain the nature of their mistake to you? For example, did they look at the wrong name or something similar?

Did they explain the nature of their mistake to you? For example, did they look at the wrong name or something similar?

As I said, they told me that NSERC has changed their report format this year and include everybody (even those who did not get it) in the report, with a checkmark

for those who got an award. The grad school has thought that the format is the same as the last year that only the successful ones are listed. Obviously, they have

not read the report carefully.

I don't understand why some university are giving out the results while others are keeping it a secret!

Hope it comes tomorow....I don't want to wait another week end.

BTW congratulation to all succesful applicants! and really sorry for the negative answers, it always hurts.

I was wondering if any of you guys who got results, were also Vanier nominee?

I don't understand why some university are giving out the results while others are keeping it a secret!

Hope it comes tomorow....I don't want to wait another week end.

BTW congratulation to all succesful applicants! and really sorry for the negative answers, it always hurts.

I was wondering if any of you guys who got results, were also Vanier nominee?

The way my graduate secretary spoke of it, you'd think she expected a black-ops NSERC special agent team to bust down the door if she "leaked" any info.

I received my letter today and didn't get NSERC PDF sad.gif , so disappointing! I had an accepted paper and two submitted papers for my PhD studies at the time of application. I'm wondering what are their expectations at NSERC?!

I received my letter today and didn't get NSERC PDF sad.gif , so disappointing! I had an accepted paper and two submitted papers for my PhD studies at the time of application. I'm wondering what are their expectations at NSERC?!

Perhaps it was a really competitive year for you PDFs... I don't know what the average number of papers that you should have out by the end of your PhD. I know our department has the unwritten rule that you should have 3 first-author papers done by then, but I think that's the gold standard. Or perhaps it wasn't your publication record, maybe another part of your application wasn't as strong? I don't know if you can write them for any feedback on your application?

I just got an email from the scholarship coordinator here at UWO and I was fortunate to be rewarded with a PGSD3! Good luck to the rest of you guys, the results are just around the corner!

-Q

I am very disappointed too and it hurts bad ...

At the time of application I had 2 published articles and one under revision, all first author, I was awarded with OGS in past, strong recommendation letters and my application was super-revised by my supervisor , who has good experience in successful grants and...didn't get PDF.

I know somebody with 3 published paper, first-author from which one article was in a very prestigious journal and didn't get PDF....this is competition....

Perhaps it was a really competitive year for you PDFs... I don't know what the average number of papers that you should have out by the end of your PhD. I know our department has the unwritten rule that you should have 3 first-author papers done by then, but I think that's the gold standard. Or perhaps it wasn't your publication record, maybe another part of your application wasn't as strong? I don't know if you can write them for any feedback on your application?

I just got an email from the scholarship coordinator here at UWO and I was fortunate to be rewarded with a PGSD3! Good luck to the rest of you guys, the results are just around the corner!

-Q

You know I agree for 3 papers published by the end of PhD. Buy not 3 papers published by the end of thirs year! Since at least revising, acceptance and finally publishing 3 papers take time. I already had 1 accepted, but two of them were submitted by the end of my third year, so means that I was more likely to have 3 papers published by the end of PhD.

You know I agree for 3 papers published by the end of PhD. Buy not 3 papers published by the end of thirs year! Since at least revising, acceptance and finally publishing 3 papers take time. I already had 1 accepted, but two of them were submitted by the end of my third year, so means that I was more likely to have 3 papers published by the end of PhD.

Don't worry UTgradst, your quality doesn't stand in getting or not NSERC PDF, but in your research results. Maybe those NSERC reviewers weren't quite in your research or just didn't agree/like your research. Your publishing record is more than good for the third year PhD. good luck !

I received my letter (pgs-d for two years) today! I guess I'm doing a phd after all ... The letter is dated march 19 for anyone who wants to guess how fast (or slow) canada post can send letters to their address

I know two post-docs who'd received nserc funding in the past. They've each had about 6 or 7 first author publications in decent journals from their phds. From what I've heard, the PDF is really hard to get - these people really stood out from other people in the department (such was my perspective as an undergrad anyway)

For all who are discussing number of publications:

As far as I know, only the number of papers doesn't matter at all. It is novelty you showed in your past research and your proposed area of research ...

The later part matters a lot ... you have to look what current areas the govt. is investing in and how your research will boost it. If you can't convince them, chances drop drastically.

If some successful candidates drop their CGS in case they choose to go for foreign universities, do the NSERC announce revised results ? If yes, how long this takes ?

anyone with past experience ?

bhdavis: any idea ?