NSERC 2010-2011

itsAnewStart

Hi,

I applied externally, since I'm at a US school for my MS now, and my parents in Nova Scotia got the letter today - they sent it to my "permanent mailing address", even though I didn't indicate I'd be moving from my current address on the form, for those who were wondering.

It's a CGS-D2, but it looks like I'll be staying in the States, so someone else will be getting the $14,000/year extra... that's a pretty big incentive to stay at home, especially compared to the $200 difference for the CGS/PGS-M!

Good luck to those who haven't heard yet!

Has anyone in Alberta received their CGS/PGS-D letter yet? It's starting to feel like Edmonton is the at the north pole given how slow snail-mail seems to take around here! I definitely agree - the whole online application/offline submission process is rather silly. Perhaps in the near future they'll convert to ResearchNet or something similar.

p.s. For anyone awaiting their Vanier results (not sure if Vanier is going to send letters or post results on ResearchNet), but last year's CIHR DRA (basically CIHR's version of the PGS-D) results weren't posted on ResearchNet 'til April 28th. Yikes! Another waiting game! Hopefully the Vanier results arrive by the proposed March 31st deadline!!

Edited by yellowtulip

Has anyone in Alberta received their CGS/PGS-D letter yet? It's starting to feel like Edmonton is the at the north pole given how slow snail-mail seems to take around here! I definitely agree - the whole online application/offline submission process is rather silly. Perhaps in the near future they'll convert to ResearchNet or something similar.

p.s. For anyone awaiting their Vanier results (not sure if Vanier is going to send letters or post results on ResearchNet), but last year's CIHR DRA (basically CIHR's version of the PGS-D) results weren't posted on ResearchNet 'til April 28th. Yikes! Another waiting game! Hopefully the Vanier results arrive by the proposed March 31st deadline!!

My graduate award coordinator said the results are going to be mailed this week! It is very exciting. I am not holding much hope at competing for the Vanier scholarship. I am sure there are many, many worthy candidates. To even be forwarded to the national competition was an unexpected surprise for me. If somehow I am fortunate enough to get picked, I will be ecstatic but just making it to the national level was enough for me. My grades probably are not high enough to compete with other top notch international and domestic students.

Last Wednesday I asked to the graduate studies whether I got the PGS-D or not, and they told me I got it and they congratulated me. And today, the latter finally arrived, and it says I couldn't get it. I talked to the grad studies to understand what is going on and apparently they made a mistake... This is so frustrating...

Anyways, about this waiting lists: is it possible to learn whether we are on a waiting list or not? In addition, I have heard about this privacy act, and I should be able learn why I was rejected. Does anybody know how to check that?

I am sorry if these questions were asked and answered before, I scanned most of the forum but couldn't find information about it.

Edited by luna_

Last Wednesday I asked to the graduate studies whether I got the award or not, and they told me I got it and they congratulated me. And today, the latter finally arrived, and it says I couldn't get it. I talked to the grad studies to understand what is going on and apparently they made a mistake... This is so frustrating...

Anyways, about this waiting lists: is it possible to learn whether we are on a waiting list or not? In addition, I have heard about this privacy act, and I should be able learn why I was rejected. Does anybody know how to check that?

I am sorry if these questions were asked and answered before, I scanned most of the forum but couldn't find information about it.

I am in Vancouver as well. This makes me nervous. Hopefully there was not a mistake with mine. There seems to have been a couple of mistakes in notifying applicants this year but I am sure that is bound to happen with thousands of applicants and a very complex process. Too bad for your application though. It would be very frustrating to find out about a mistake now.

Last Wednesday I asked to the graduate studies whether I got the PGS-D or not, and they told me I got it and they congratulated me. And today, the latter finally arrived, and it says I couldn't get it. I talked to the grad studies to understand what is going on and apparently they made a mistake... This is so frustrating...

you should sue the university for emotional trauma... I'd bet you would win too

you should sue the university for emotional trauma... I'd bet you would win too

:) haha, that's funny. They also said that the results are not official and I should wait for the letter, so I am not sure with my chances of a win :) I tried to stay calm and not to get too excited in case something like this might happen, but 5 days is a long period of time, and I think I just got carried away.

Has anyone in Vancouver who applied directly to NSERC for a PGS-M received their letter by mail yet? Still waiting

I'm in Vancouver and applied directly to NSERC. I just received notification of my CGS-M yesterday (Mar 29th) by mail. I imagine yours should arrive today.

About the waiting list...

I honestly don't know how it really works for PGS/CGS.

I do know that for USRA, they have a waiting list, but it is managed by the university... if someone refuse an award in that university, they will give it to the first on waiting list from that university and so on. They do not tell you if you are on a waiting list and they don't give your ranking on that waiting list.

It probably works in a similar way for PGS/CGS, but I don't know if the university is also managing the waiting list for graduate student or if it is NSERC. But I am pretty sure, it is the same for PGS/CGS...they probably don't tell you if you are on the list and your ranking!

You may want to contact NSERC directly to make sure they were sending the letter to your current address.

I would contact NSERC directly to see whether or not they delivered it to your current address. I just got my results sent to my permanent address so I had to call to confirm. My graduate school informed me that I had received the award, but since a few of you guys had mentioned you got a different result by mail, I got anxious.

I hope that they would award the next set of applicants in line for the award and that this is not based on which university you're applying from. But I suppose they can only give the next in-line applicant within the same research category. For example, if an awardee declines their award in the cell biology stream, the next applicant in that field would receive the award? I'm guessing here...

Anyways, hope the good luck keeps rolling in :)

-Q

I would contact NSERC directly to see whether or not they delivered it to your current address. I just got my results sent to my permanent address so I had to call to confirm.

-Q

I have just contacted them and the lady mentioned that they have sent it to My current address in Germany. She added that it may take 5-6 weeks to reach me!! Just imagine!

For those waiting in the US, I just got my letter this morning in California.

Looks like it was postmarked March 25th and sent via USPS in Buffalo.

Edited by cardinal

anyone know anything about NSERC revision list for PGS/CGS ? (any information with your friends ?)

Sorry, I don't know anything about the lists or how they work. I sure would like to though. I am curious to know whether people get bumped up from within university or nationally. It would be more fair to do it nationally but it is more complicated then.

ste Urbain: I did review the application and find couple of typos in my Master's thesis summary! that's it! will writing "offers" instead of "offered" and forgetting the "as" in "as well as", make me lose the scholarship?! If that's the case, then they must be looking for perfection! I guess God will only win this award then :)

I'm not saying this had an effect in your case, but I've heard through the grapevine that all of the candidates, once they reach NSERC Ottawa, are so exceptionally well-qualified that they look for almost any excuse to exclude somebody. If you have a comparable record to others and they don't have typos, a typo might make the difference.

It's not the typos per se, but that they suggest carelessness or inattention to detail (because typos are so easy to fix!).

Hello Guys, I am a new kid on the block. I just heard from my grad secretary that I got CGSD3 :). Few questions:

I received a letter from NSERC in my mail yesterday. The letter was dated March 19. Is this the official notice of award? There is a general letter on NSERC letterhead just congratulating me and there is another one which details, Application No., NSERC PIN, etc. Did anyone else got this letter already? My university people are asking for a notice of award which states the start date etc but neither of those pages say anything about it.

Also, how do i accept the award? Can I email scanned copies of Form 1B Part II and Form 1A, proof of citizenship to schol@nserc email address? Unfortunately, I couldn't find help anywhere on NSERC website.

Thanks

Hello Guys, I am a new kid on the block. I just heard from my grad secretary that I got CGSD3 smile.gif. Few questions:

I received a letter from NSERC in my mail yesterday. The letter was dated March 19. Is this the official notice of award? There is a general letter on NSERC letterhead just congratulating me and there is another one which details, Application No., NSERC PIN, etc. Did anyone else got this letter already? My university people are asking for a notice of award which states the start date etc but neither of those pages say anything about it.

Also, how do i accept the award? Can I email scanned copies of Form 1B Part II and Form 1A, proof of citizenship to schol@nserc email address? Unfortunately, I couldn't find help anywhere on NSERC website.

Thanks

That is indeed your confirmation.

I sent an email last night asking about emailing/faxing (Im in the UK), they replied to me that you can email/fax in their FAQ (ill be faxing mine). They will send you a automatic FAQ file explaining this if you send an email. When in doubt, email them is what i say (*they are prompt i find).

Also has anyone noticed the 1050 accepted awards figure?., Is that right that 1050 total PGS/CGS awards were handed out?., Because last year 2700 awards were given out?. Thoughts

I'm not saying this had an effect in your case, but I've heard through the grapevine that all of the candidates, once they reach NSERC Ottawa, are so exceptionally well-qualified that they look for almost any excuse to exclude somebody. If you have a comparable record to others and they don't have typos, a typo might make the difference.

It's not the typos per se, but that they suggest carelessness or inattention to detail (because typos are so easy to fix!).

I heard that any typo was a automatic rejection as well. My profs/colleagues have always told me under no circumsatnces can there be any typos/grammar mistakes. none.

I heard that any typo was a automatic rejection as well. My profs/colleagues have always told me under no circumsatnces can there be any typos/grammar mistakes. none.

I found a typo in my final application....after it was sent to NSERC and I still got a CGS-D. I doubt that you get rejected automatically for an innocent typo.

I found a typo in my final application....after it was sent to NSERC and I still got a CGS-D. I doubt that you get rejected automatically for an innocent typo.

Can be true. But if the reviewer isnt looking for typos youd be in the clear. And if the committee whose evaluating has two people tied, whats the tie breaker? Its a possibility. Nonetheless.