NYU Wagner - Fall 2008

hopeful grad

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to find something related to nonprofit or finance (my undergrad major), but school will be my first priority so I need more of a 9-5 type job. I have also applied to a few jobs at NYU (admin related) but haven't heard back. Ideally, I'd like to move out there in june or july so we will see.

hi guys~I am also admitted by their program.

hopeful, you mentioned night school, so are you going to be a part-time student in wagner or the mpa program wagner s actually given at night?

By the way, idealist.org looks like a great site to find some public service jobs but do they want international students?(i am from China and have 2 years' full time professional experience in government.) That would be great if the jobs aren't limited to americans/permanent residents.

Anyway, congratulations, hopeful grad and best of luck with your application, unknown~~

Thanks O! :-)

By the way, I don't see why international students would be at a disadvantage for jobs here...especially because they will be enrolling in a school in the states. Though, I'm not sure how it works. What kinds of things do you need to work here in the states that your enrollment at a school here wouldn't necessarily help your work status? Is it a work visa? If so, could a school provide you with the permission you need to work in the states?

hi unknown

Yes, you r right...its the work visa issue. I was told that most institutions wouldn't like to hire foreign graduates because it would be troublesome to get you a work visa. So, i am wondering how hard it would be for int'l students to land a job in the states...

By the way, I heard that if you work for NGOs, like UN, then the visa won't be a problem. Is that true? Anyone knows this?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't apply to reynolds, just Goldberg. Still no info on funding. By the way Orange- I'm admitted as full-time and most classes can be taken either during the afternoon or night due to the amount of students that work full-time. I do believe that you can switch to part-time at any point though.

hi all,

i was also accepted to NYU Wagner for fall 2008. still waiting to hear on fellowship aid. i also applied for the reynolds fellowship. no news yet, it's killing me.

i'm strongly considering NYU Wagner, especially because i live and work in NYC. i'm just not sure whether to keep my job and go to school part-time if i don't get fellowship aid. seems like a lot.

i was also accepted to Harvard Kennedy School (waiting on fellowship aid) and waitlisted at Princeton WWS, but both of those would require me to give up my job. which isn't such a big deal if i'm getting fellowship aid, but could get really expensive if i'm not.

any thoughts? thanks, and maybe see you this fall!

desigrrl:

Both schools are really reputable, congrats! I think it comes down to which program you really love as well as cost of living. I really love that Wagner has an international specialization and an option to go abroad. I'm struggling with the same thing in NYC - it will be expensive and most people have to work at least part-time to keep up with costs. As far as working and going to school full-time, that may be a little difficult but I'm sure it can be done. Luckily Wagner offers classes during the day and at night to accommodate those who are working.

Any idea on when we will hear on funding? I was told the 15th but haven't heard yet. Not sure if this means it's a no.

Good luck!

hi, thanks for the reply.

since my job is 9-5, i definitely think i could make it work. it will mean only taking 2 classes a semester, but it also will let me go to school without breaking the bank.

i spoke to the wagner admissions office today, and they said that we should all hear about financial aid by the end of this week or next week...

which still doesn't make the waiting any easier.

when did you both apply? It seems they contact people in the order in which they received their applications. It says on the website they strive to make a decision in 6 weeks. They may be waiting to send it out at the end of March when they send out financial aid information. Good luck, and you can always call- they have been extremely helpful over the phone!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use